Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Yup, a lot of the reviewers point that out. But perhaps SupC2 will do better, since it caters more to casual gamers?

Hardcore gamers have probably already played SupC1+2, so VP has to attract a bit more casual types on the Mac.

A fine review of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwYVDiZpKuY

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You have to buy it from Virtual Programming/Deliver2mac. The game requires steam to run and are able to multiplay against pc & mac users. By buying the mac version, you also get the PC version for free.

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I have bought it, but I am a bit dissapointed. It would seem VP has just ditched one of the best features with this game. I cant for the life of me get the secondary display up and running. Actually the game will only run in window or fullscreen window mode.

So if I dont get a proper answer from VP on this I will demand my money back as it was nowhere written that this feature wasnt in the game.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
You have to buy it from Virtual Programming/Deliver2mac. The game requires steam to run and are able to multiplay against pc & mac users. By buying the mac version, you also get the PC version for free.

A warning to potential purchasers: The game requires Steam for Mac ALSO for the single-player campaign. I thought it would only be required for multiplayer, but no. Steam is the new overlord.

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
From the previous posts here, am I to understand that you need Steam to play it, but you can't actually buy it through Steam?

Also, since someone mentioned that you get the PC version for free when you buy the Mac version, I had to mail Virtual Programming and ask if you then got the Mac version for free if you already had the PC version (since that is the way Valve does it on their own games).

Sadly, the answer was a pretty standard mail reply (which indirectly said 'no').

And because there is no demo available, I would like to ask those who already bought it:

How is the performance on your Macs and what type of machine do you have?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Why????????????? Why do devs seem to dumb down on features or game depth as time passes by?

Civ V, SC 2, Apple taking out features out of Mac OS… the list goes on.

This is a major disappointment.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
SupCom 1 was the best RTS since Total Annihilation, but I've held out on buying SupCom 2 simply because of the poor reviews. Maybe the new DLC for it will add some missing features from the first game.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
I already have the Windows version that I purchased through steam. Am I correct that I can't DL and install the game on my Mac side through Steam? If that's true I sure hope eventually Steam will allow Steamplay for this and I will be able to install it on the Mac side.

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I already have the Windows version that I purchased through steam. Am I correct that I can't DL and install the game on my Mac side through Steam? If that's true I sure hope eventually Steam will allow Steamplay for this and I will be able to install it on the Mac side.

To play the mac version, you MUST buy it from Virtual Programming. You will download the dmg and install the mac version of the game.

- Steam must be running to play the game in campaign/skirmish and multiplayer against mac and PC
- This is a one way street of steam play.
- Having the mac version gives you a game key for the pc version
- to use the DLC you have to first purchase it then you copy the "gamedata" folder from the PC version over to the mac version and it works.
- The mac version is not currently not up to date with the PC version (mac 1.22, pc 1.23 (two patches behind)
Because of the game version difference, multiplayer against PC users will desync (hopefully sooner than later VP will push out another update.
- Performance will be lower like all mac games compared to their pc counterparts. This is because the older graphic card drivers for OSX. I currently have it on the new 27" imac 2010 and it works fine for me but there is a noticeable "lag" compared to my bootcamp side.

Ovistavin

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I am having an issue with the the game crashing a lot during the 12th mission in the campaign. It seems to crash randomly, but it will also crash if I load a saved game of this mission and try to zoom in.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? For me it is only on this mission, I can play skirmish and the previous 11 missions just fine.

I am running a 2008 Mac Pro with 6GB RAM and a Radeon 4870.

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Mac version 1.23 released for Supcom2

I am having an issue with the the game crashing a lot during the 12th mission in the campaign. It seems to crash randomly, but it will also crash if I load a saved game of this mission and try to zoom in.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? For me it is only on this mission, I can play skirmish and the previous 11 missions just fine.

I am running a 2008 Mac Pro with 6GB RAM and a Radeon 4870.

VP pushed out the 1.23 update today which fixes the 12th mission issue. This update also aligns with the PC version which should allow everyone to battle each other PC/Mac for now until the PC gets the next patch.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
To play the mac version, you MUST buy it from Virtual Programming. You will download the dmg and install the mac version of the game.

Really? I bought a retail copy of SupCom2 years ago, and have it installed in Steam. Just checked my OS X installation, and SupCom2 is listed as available for installation.

EDIT: Okay, actually tried installing and it isn't available. Booo!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-14 at 19.41.41.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-14 at 19.41.41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 486

Ovistavin

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
VP pushed out the 1.23 update today which fixes the 12th mission issue. This update also aligns with the PC version which should allow everyone to battle each other PC/Mac for now until the PC gets the next patch.

Good to know the patch is out!

I had opened a help ticket with VP and it turned out to be a memory issue. To work around it I needed to reduce the texture detail setting to medium. I will reset the video settings to high and give it a try!

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009

How did they do this? Through Steam or through something else? Was it automatic or did you have to find it yourself?

Since I own the PC version already, until they fully integrate the Mac version with Steam, as Valve have done, I'm not going near it.

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
How did they do this? Through Steam or through something else? Was it automatic or did you have to find it yourself?

Since I own the PC version already, until they fully integrate the Mac version with Steam, as Valve have done, I'm not going near it.

It updates automatically when you launch the game. The mac version will never be sold through steam from Virtual Programming. They have their own distribution service, deliver2mac.

The only way it would be "steam played" both ways is if it was sold from Square Enix. But it was published by VP instead and they need to make their money back for all the work they had to do for it. hence the 1-way steam path.

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
It updates automatically when you launch the game. The mac version will never be sold through steam from Virtual Programming. They have their own distribution service, deliver2mac.

The only way it would be "steam played" both ways is if it was sold from Square Enix. But it was published by VP instead and they need to make their money back for all the work they had to do for it. hence the 1-way steam path.

Are kidding me? They seriously sell Supreme Commander 2, which REQUIRES Steam, through their own competing service? And they do that with a straight face? Does Valve even allow that? Is any other game that requires Steam sold through a competing service? Perhaps Valve sees that as viral marketing. The mind boggles.

And the money issue is ********, because it's their own fault for negotiating a bad deal in that case. But I guess it's also Square Enix's fault for not seeing any monetary potential in the Mac market, and because of this decision, I bet it ultimately will cost them both money.

I'm out anyway, because this is just stupid.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why does Valve care? They get money from the Steamworks licensing in either case. Any game that requires Steamworks is sold through a "competing service," as you can buy retail copies elsewhere and register them on steam. This is no different.

I am of course speculating here, but if I had to guess, VP couldn't afford to make the game utilize SteamPlay, so the people who had the PC version would get the Mac version for free. And Valve might have been unwilling to have separate Mac / PC version of SC2 on their store (all Mac games are SteamPlay.) There are other VP games on the store––Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis. I don't think VP really cares if you buy through them or Steam.

Civ V is probably going to work just like this, so get used to it. Aspyr is doing the port, and it requires Steamworks.

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Mac gaming is not going to have it easy for a loooong time still, it seems. :(

On the bright side, more money for indie devs out of my pocket, as long as the big players keep screwing people around like this!

Sargiel

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
West Sussex, England
I think this is a bit unfair on VP... They've ported the game so they should get the sales.

I think it's a good deal for Mac gamers. We can play online against PC/Mac players and get the PC version thrown in for free.

greenbobb

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008

My sentiments exactly. It's not like I bought a Mac for all the amazing games out there that are Mac only. That's what bootcamp is for.

Does the "mac version" come with two CD-Keys then? A Mac-key AND a Windows Key? I guess if I didn't already own a copy AND my wife had a windows computer (and why would she? mac+bootcamp=best of both worlds) Then I might CONSIDER buying it that way so that we could play against each other... but wait a minute, I can still just get the PC version again for $20, and she can run it on bootcamp like I do. meh.

AoxomoxoA

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
My sentiments exactly. It's not like I bought a Mac for all the amazing games out there that are Mac only. That's what bootcamp is for.

Does the "mac version" come with two CD-Keys then? A Mac-key AND a Windows Key? I guess if I didn't already own a copy AND my wife had a windows computer (and why would she? mac+bootcamp=best of both worlds) Then I might CONSIDER buying it that way so that we could play against each other... but wait a minute, I can still just get the PC version again for $20, and she can run it on bootcamp like I do. meh.

Yes it does. I finally installed boot camp to run Civ V and was able to download the Windows SC2 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.