Sure enough, Updated Erased my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Arisian, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Looks like I will spend the next evening re-adding everything to my ipod since it deleted everything when I did the 1.1.1 UPDATE. Dammit apple, come on!

Grrrrr... at least its not bricked yeah?

Arisian

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im sorry you bowed to the temptation...... :eek::) but you resisted it much longer than I did.

Its ok, not end of the world yet.

3. r!ggaman macrumors newbie

r!ggaman

I'm curious did you have the ipod set to automatically fill up everything when you first had it? When i first got mine I had it set up so that I would manually put everything on there, and when I updated it nothing was erased.

4. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

I know man. I tried so hard to avoid it. However there is something really interesting that i noticed. I jad download wes anderson's short film "hotel chevalier"and watched it it yesterday. I stopped the film just before the credits BEFORE i did the update. Once the update failed and told me i had to restore my ipod i didthat and everything was deleted. Hwoever, i just reloaded the short film and it references the exact spot that i had stopped it at when I watched it last. Seems to me that if apple is keeping certain files and deleting others when you are forced to restore ur ipod because thw UPDATE failed, i would have rather kept all my music than where the crap i stopped my movies.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

really? I m afraid thats not a good thing, we are supposed to get a clean device by restoration. there should not be any trace left. what if I want to resell it? ggggrrr.. what else is apple hiding from me....Jesus.

Edit, on a second thought, I think the info might be stored in iTunes on your computer. Altho Im not sure.

6. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

no

no, i picke and choose what I have on my ipod, I should jsut create an enormous play list shouldnt I, that would be easier and I could just sync it that way. I think tahts what I wil lend up doing, but right now, man... im kinda just ticked, Ill get over it in about 10 minutes, but I just wish It hadnt happened, it kinda just sucks.

what are your thoughts on the video thing?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This info is synced back and forth to iTunes, so you can watch something (or listen to an audiobook) part way on the iPod, sync, and continue watching where you let off. Or vice-versa.

B

8. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

i thought that might be the case, however since I didnt watch it on my g4, i just assumed it remembered... Oh well, stil lwish I didnt have to reload everything

9. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I'd wonder this too. I initially set to "manually manage files" and loaded it up. But then, when attempting to transfer a wallpaper photo, I somehow reenabled syncing and ended up with a wiped Touch - guess it sync'd to my video playlists in iTunes - which are empty.

But hey, this sucks. I guess the lesson is "never start a forum thread asking if you shouldn't do something, then do it, because lighting will strike." :rolleyes: