Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I accidentally picked up an Airtag (edit), thinking it was mine, a couple weeks ago. Didn’t realize it wasn’t mine until we were one hundred miles away (it was at a ski resort locker room). I would have an interest in getting in touch with the owner to somehow figure out how to get it back to them, but the only thing I can see is the last four digits of a phone number. It beeps every once in a while, but I have no way to do anything about those beeps. Obviously the owner can see its location, but there’s no way for me to communicate to the owner that I have it and I’m happy to get it back to them. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I accidentally picked up an AirPod, thinking it was mine
Are you referring to an "AirTag"? AirPods are headphones. Did you pick up a single AirPod ear pod? Either way, if you picked up someone's AirPods or an AirTag, there is no way to contact the owner unless they have explicitly put the device in Lost Mode. Your best bet is to return the device to where you found it and hope the owner is checking any "lost + found" services there.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any way to communicate with the AirPod's owner. Here are a few ideas:

1. Take it to Apple to see if they can match the serial number to an owner, but I don't know if they will do that.
2. Report the AirPod to the local sky resort in case the owner has contacted them.
3. Report the AirPod to the local police at the ski resort.

The chances of any of those working are slim, but it's good that you're trying.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Are you referring to an "AirTag"? AirPods are headphones. Did you pick up a single AirPod ear pod? Either way, if you picked up someone's AirPods or an AirTag, there is no way to contact the owner unless they have explicitly put the device in Lost Mode. Your best bet is to return the device to where you found it and hope the owner is checking any "lost + found" services there.
Yes sorry, too many similarly named Apple products. AirTag, not airpod.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
It's frustrating, but understandable that they do this

other wise, you see someone set their keys on the table, and you could walk by and quickly scan the tag and get personal contact info without their knowledge. Same could be done if the tag was in a bag/purse, and the owner of the tag would never know that, until some random person that saw them starts calling them or showing up at their house.

I wish apple would setup some sort of web based iMessage, put a link or a text box on the page that comes up when you scan it, to let you be able to send the owner a message without knowing any personal details. They could even rotate that link every so often, so someone would't be able to keep spamming the owner for days after scanning the tag.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You could just drop it off at the Apple Store and ask them to mail it back to the owner? (seeing as how they can access the owner's data).
Apple won’t do this, it’s not worth the trouble of trying to drop it off at a store.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
It's frustrating, but understandable that they do this

other wise, you see someone set their keys on the table, and you could walk by and quickly scan the tag and get personal contact info without their knowledge. Same could be done if the tag was in a bag/purse, and the owner of the tag would never know that, until some random person that saw them starts calling them or showing up at their house.

I wish apple would setup some sort of web based iMessage, put a link or a text box on the page that comes up when you scan it, to let you be able to send the owner a message without knowing any personal details. They could even rotate that link every so often, so someone would't be able to keep spamming the owner for days after scanning the tag.
I mean it seems to me like it would be pretty easy to just have an anonymous link, allowing you to send a notification that it’s been found and where. There’s no reason you have to know who you’re sending it to for that to go out.

Every day when I get in my car, the AirTag starts beeping at me. I don’t understand how this is not “lost mode“ but apparently it’s not because I still see the same thing when I look up the AirTag, only the last four digits of the owners phone number. Not very smart…

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I mean it seems to me like it would be pretty easy to just have an anonymous link, allowing you to send a notification that it’s been found and where. There’s no reason you have to know who you’re sending it to for that to go out.

I agree 100%

with the ability to disable on the tag owners end.
Otherwise, someone could steal a tag from you, and endlessly spam you with creepy messages.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
If the owner hasn’t placed it in lost mode yet, he/she probably doesn’t care. It’s a $29 device. Remove and insert the battery five times, and set it up as yours.

As long as you didn’t intentionally grab it, consider it a gift. In all reality, who leaves just an AirTag laying around ?
cool tip. didnt know you could de-link and re register via this method!

Reactions: dz5b609

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
If the owner hasn’t placed it in lost mode yet, he/she probably doesn’t care. It’s a $29 device. Remove and insert the battery five times, and set it up as yours.

As long as you didn’t intentionally grab it, consider it a gift. In all reality, who leaves just an AirTag laying around ?
what you have recommended that poster to do, is called, theft.

assuming the person doesn't care?
assuming the person knows what to do when they have lost an AirTag?
assuming that its ok since it only costs 29 USD?

sad.

returning it to the business establishment where it was found is the only solution to this. or, if you are unwilling to spend some of your own money to do the right thing, at least leaving your contact details with that establishment is the minimum you should do.
and finally, even if you dont want to do any of the above, doing what you told him to do is never the thing to do,
morally, ethically, legally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.