Surely maps is still using test data currently?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CavemanUK, Sep 14, 2012.

1. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

I'm sure this time next week we will know one way or the other but I can't believe this is the real live map data we're using right now. The maps and local services are supposed to be pulled from tomtom and yelp yet its completely screwed up. I'm in North Wales UK and since beta 4 all convenience stores are labelled as fuel stations. Obviously the satellite data is also a long way from googles standards. Plus a lot of business found in the yelp app are not in apple maps.

My vote is that they will switch over to real data in The next few days but even so it's leaving it a bit late.

2. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

that's what i also hope for too. huge problem with places and addresses.

that's just hope though. gm versions are usually the last versions before they come out. they might update their servers, i mean you wouldn't need an os update for it but still i think that's a low possibility.

but they have to make it far better than where it is today.

3. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

All the data IS server side so it shouldn't be a problem to change or update it.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Given that the GM is supposed to be the final release (assuming no major issues are found with it), another update to switch the source of the maps (from a test system to a live one) would make no sense.

It also makes no sense for a server-side change to take place that would dramatically alter this.

The UK maps just aren't as good as Google's - but did anyone really expect any different? It's taken Google years to get their map products to the level that they are at now - appreciation of how things differ between countries is part of that.

6. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Bing managed okay with their maps..

And really, it's not acceptable to have a lot of the Uk in black and white aerial photos. Even maps bought from a store are printed in colour!

7. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

No update clientside is required to redirect live or test map data... Currently the only version of Apple Maps is in IOS6 so when the app requests data, it can request from what would eventually become the live server. They just need to update the live server or redirect the IP. Nothing has to ever happen clientside.

The server could also easily be clever enough to redirect based on version so IOS6.1 could be presented with a completely different set of data from the same IP.

8. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

But is it going to happen? I'm not convinced this is test data...

9. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Agreed. Apple can't release something as an upgrade thats inferior to the existing app in that respect. How could they be taken seriously?

10. revs macrumors regular

I'm hoping the same, as the data is terrible, and its quite slow.

On the discussion of swapping it server side - yes they can do that without an iPhone update.

11. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Where are you based mate? just out of curiosity, try searching for the nearest restaurant using siri and do the same with yelp. Does the data match? shouldnt it?

12. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I only have an iPhone 4 so can't test siri, sorry.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

All that's really obvious, but the question is why?

Why would Apple wait until the last minute to suddenly improve the maps?

14. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

I haven't been impressed so far by the maps, especially the satellite images. I've been waiting for GM to test it out myself and... Let's just say they have a lot of room for improvement!

Love 3D though!!

15. Oliver G macrumors regular

There are places in Melbourne that closed 10 years ago, that are showing on Apple Maps.

16. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

I know for a fact the Apple used openstreetmaps.org as a source, at least partly. I know this because I alone have extensively mapped the remote area that I live in. Everything is based on my GPS and satellite traces that I uploaded to openstreetmaps.org, and all these traces appear on Apple Maps exactly as I have put them. All other maps services including Google, Bing, and others just vaguely show the approximate position of the main roads and rivers in this area.

It's nice to know that I have participated in creating Apple's service in this small way. I have yet to find out if they still take data from updated Openstreetmap database. I could add some more traces on the Openstreetmaps database and then see if they ever appear on Apple Maps.

17. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

same thing here in istanbul. there are really really low amount of places already as it is and the ones that are there are extremely old ones. factories and companies that closed like 5-10 years ago. really outdated data.

let's hope apple updates it's content before iOS 6 officially comes out.

Also, addresses i have in my contacts are way off. does anyone have that problem? my work address for example was way off even though it was just correct when it was google maps.

18. Oliver G macrumors regular

When the public get there hands on iOS 6, and they discover how bad maps is, it will make headline news. So hopefully then Apple will begin to fix this huge problem.

19. ManuCH macrumors 6502

True. It even says so in the Maps acknowledgements page that you can bring up by clicking on "Data from Tomtom, others":

http://gspa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html

20. Cybbe macrumors 6502

The river Han is mossingene from the (vector) map of Seoul. That's a pretty serious omission, in a country with pretty decent local map providers.

21. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Lol it's showing a lot of local businesses around me and apparently they're located in the middle of a lake.

22. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

It's there if you are running the GM. It wasn't under beta 4. That's weird in itself as you'd expect the server side data to be the same!

Even so Apples coverage for Korea is extremely poor and doesn't come close to Google or Naver. If it doesn't improve pretty fast users here are going to very upset.

23. Cybbe macrumors 6502

I'm running the GM. Perhaps they are waiting to switch over, but just missing a major river in one of the worlds largest cities in a highly developed society (and relatively large market) in the first place baffles the mind.

24. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

Strange you're still not seeing it. This is from my 4s running the GM.

Attached Files:

25. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Definitely not here. iPad 3.

edit: checked the hangul version as well. No river.

[​IMG]