Surely theres something wrong here?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by msjones, Jan 19, 2009.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi,

I am having some problems coming to terms with the heat my Black MacBook gives off.

[​IMG]

As you can see its not under full load, the fans are at 6200RPM and the temp is 94C.

Is this normal? I read that people are seeing the same if not higher temps than this? I opened up the terminal and use the YES command watch under full load the max temp I saw was 102C. Its my understanding the core shut off point is 100C so I assume the SMC app I use to monitor temps isnt 100% accurate, but it cant be that far off.

This is my 3rd MacBook in a year, and I dont want to have to replace another.

2. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Normal for me on my whitebook, also using VH (specs in sig). Owned it from new in Dec '06, only issue I ever had was the original EFI caused my battery to die in sleep mode. Wouldn't worry about it.

3. hvaldivia macrumors newbie

How'd you get the activity monitor in your menu bar?

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I think its normal.
    My Black MacBook behaves just like yours, and at times can get a little hot, but apparently the Genius Bar people claim it's "within spec":mad:.

5. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

I hope your right, because to be honest this takes the piss:

[​IMG]

Near 100C at full load, that was after about 5 mins maybe less, I didnt really want to leave it running much longer. Its not that I do much encoding, I use my PC for that, but I'd like the option and not have to worry about burning my MB to death.

6. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

remember that encoding movies etc is very CPU intensive. Everything looks fine and similar to the usage my MB gets.
    if you want another temperature monitor app, try iStat Pro

b.

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

My old C2D 2.0 WhiteBook topped out at 90c while encoding. I put in some arctic silver and it went down to 81c max. This might be a case of bad thermal paste application. I re-applied the thermal paste in 2 of my previous MacBooks and both had to go in to Apple later on for unrelated issues and they never noticed. One was actually a full logic board replacement (memory controller died). Anyhow, that's what I would recommend if your comfortable taking it apart.

8. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Just done it, 2nd time on this macbook. First time was with some crappy silver compound by akasa, saw some improvement (see a previous thread) but not enough. Just redone it with artic silver and im down to 40C idle/88C full load.

I like my cool running macbook

9. hamzab macrumors 6502

Man Im getting something like 57 degrees with 8 percent CPU usage? Is that too high?

10. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

It's all relative. It would be very bad for a desktop CPU that wasn't a P4 Prescott, but in a tiny enclosure such as the Macbook's casing, 57 isn't going to kill it.

Just try and remember that they are portable notebooks. They're not really designed to be thrashed around like an iMac or a Mac Pro which has better cooling potential, so they are bound to run hotter than you'd expect. It's the same of any laptop next to a comparable desktop.

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

One thing I'm really digging about the new MacBook is the temps. This thing is hitting high 70's and has hit 81 once when maxed out. If I ramp it up with SMCFanControl to 6200 rpm, it doesn't pass 61c even at 100% useage for 15 minutes.

12. CavesOfTQLT macrumors newbie

Just doing some video encoding on my Blackbook and, after approx. 20 minutes, this is what iStat is reporting:

Attached Files:

13. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I've never ever seen a plasticbook running that cool... can you post again with cpu usage showing

14. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Sh*t dude thats a cool running MB.... Fancy a trade :D

15. hvaldivia macrumors newbie

Hello? Can anyone else see my posts??

I've been a member of this forum for about a week and make seven posts and no-one has replied to any of them.

I asked: "How'd you get the activity monitor in your menu bar?"

Anyone care to answer?

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sounds to me like your thermal paste job isnt that good.. but it looks like your stuck with it.

shutoff temperature is around 110°C-120°C

17. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Have you considered it's not REALLY that hot? It's very possible a temp sensor is bad.