Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Surely this is too hot?

Click link for screenshots of my temperarture of my MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram. I also have a few screen issues and that darker grey line just above the connection ports on the right has lifted slightly (ill post a pic).

I think I should complain to apple, do i have valid grounds for a replacement/repair?

Thanks Graham

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Though I don't have a MBP, my MB is currently reading 54C and its been running for about an hour with iChat, Firefox, NeoOffice and iTunes open...

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Apple will say it is within spec...

anything lower than 100 degrees is fine... according to them

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Though I don't have a MBP, my MB is currently reading 54C and its been running for about an hour with iChat, Firefox, NeoOffice and iTunes open...

thanks for your numbers, if anyone else could please post there temperatures it would give me a better idea whether its too hot, or just warm...

these temperatures were taken around 1-2hrs of use using msn, safari, itunes and mail.

graham

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
i think its to hot it should be working bettween 30-50 oC

I've pushed my MacBook (2GHz Core 2 Duo) to around 65 running Parallels - figure the W2K VMs I run don't have very good power managment.

Most of the time though it sits at 40-50 range.

of curse you've got a faster CPU (more heat), and the Core 2 Duo is supposed to be a little cooler, and there is the 2GB of memory... All adds up. But it does look a little high all the same.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
That's definately too hot. My C2D MBP never exceeds 74 degrees celsius. Perhaps the core duo models run 10 degrees hotter, but IMO that's too hot.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
...please post there temperatures it would give me a better idea whether its too hot, or just warm...

MBP Core Duo 2GHz

Fans come on at about 60C, I've seen it get to 80C when pushing it with Parallels. Currently sitting at 56C/131F just writing this post (with Parallels, iTunes, Entourage & DreamWeaver running - OK, it's probably working with that lot!).

I use a Griffin iCurve - *really* nice bit of kit, gives the desk back. I've got a fan under that to quietly move the air around to cool the MBP.

Had one set of fans replaced recently. And the motherboard. And it's going in shortly for the buzzing inverter.

.Glenn

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
i've noticed mine goes up to 87°C sometimes with firefox, open office, adium, popbarrier, itunes, iphoto running.

i think that's the perfect temperature for brewing coffee.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
My MBP usually gets above 80C when doing processor intensive tasks, I find it pretty hot, but Apple will probably say it's within spec.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
It's funny that people haven't been through this issue yet on some MBPs. I guess the issue is still cropping up on refurbs.

There was a loooooong running problem of really bad application of thermal paste on the chipset, cpu, and gpu. It was causing extremely high temps (especially the case temperature -- burning your legs).

Apple will probably "fix" it for you. I, and many others, reapplied our thermal paste manually and it fixed the temperature levels to a comfortable level.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
something's up with that. I know at high 60s the fans *should* kick up to near maximum if not the maximum.

Cristian

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
El Paso, TX
That's hot.

Even tho I'm on a mac book that is way to hot . I have safari, itunes, word and skype open and I am running at 45 Celcius.

pstine

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
That does seem very hot. I have a 17" MBP C2D (2.33ghz) and it's normally running about ~50ish Celsius with a couple programs open like Dreamweaver, fireworks, excel etc... When I'm playing WoW it jumps up to I'd say no more than 65C.

adiosk8

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
you are fine I would say if you are 70c and under...laptops get warm...they all do...

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Mine has good days and bad days. Sometimes it hovers around 80ºC - 90ºC when idle, and other days (like today), it floats around 54ºC with Safari open.

CoreDuo 1.83 GHz (demanding a replacement soon, there's so much wrong with it I really don't feel like I've spent anywhere near £1500 on it).

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
That's very much within spec.

The fans don't even hit their full rotational speed until the sensors detect 72 degrees. My MBP often runs at this temp, just make sure not to block the outlets at the rear.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I use smcfancontroll and when ever mine gets around anything close to 60 I max out the fans and get it back down.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
highest i ever got it was 72c ish when editing a number of large images in Aperture with other programs running in background

normally 43-55c

mbp c2d 2.33 stock 15"

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I've gotten to 80-82 but I have to max the CPU usage (Handbreak encoding h.264 from DVD does the trick).

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
That's very much within spec.

The fans don't even hit their full rotational speed until the sensors detect 72 degrees. My MBP often runs at this temp, just make sure not to block the outlets at the rear.

Since when is "within spec" a variable idle temperature range of 30 degrees C? That's absolutely ridiculous.

If you're referring to the "72 degrees" as when your temperature sensor reads 72, it has no bearing whatsoever on when the fans actually kick in. There are multiple heat sensors in the MBP.

Reapplying thermal paste has the temp transfer working properly to the heat pipe which kicks the fans on much sooner that 72 degrees and keeps your laptop at a nice cool 40-45 degree range.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
With the heatsink being so cool (heatsink A) and the processors so warm. I can only conclude that the guy in the factory did not fully secure down the processor to the heatsink, or put too much/little thermal paste on.

That used to happen to my old P4 PC before I got my C2D 17" MBP, as I frequently removed the heatsink to swap out with new processors etc. and all that it needed was the heatsink reseating.

Dan :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.