surf internet and talk on phone at sametime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koopa35, Aug 28, 2008.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

im sure it will drain your battery but if u have wifi on and conected to it.. u can sure and talk at same time.. thats pretty cool

2. weeman macrumors 6502

You can also do it with the iPhone 3G if you have a 3G connection

Doesn't work on edge though..

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think that was one of their selling points for the 3G iPhone, b/c as ^^^ stated, v1 iPhone didn't have that feature with EDGE.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It's not really a "feature" but a limitation with GSM, not the iPhone's problem.

3G (WCDMA) will let you use the data connection and talk at the same time.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can also listen to the iPod and surf at the same time!

6. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

Umm... AFAIK WCDMA still does not support simultaneous voice and data. The last 3G CDMA phone I had w/ Verizon (a BB Curve) didn't allow me to do that. Then again neither did my GSM 3G Palm Treo 750.

The iPhone 3G is the first phone I've ever seen work with both data and voice at the same time. Just the other day I was talking to a friend who was telling me about a youtube video... i was able to watch the video while still having him on the phone. Again, AFAIK, such things are still not possible on CDMA. I've certainly never seen it demostrated or advertised.

7. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Ummm, your iPhone 3G uses WCDMA for 3G service as does the Palm Treo 750 so why it didn't work on your Palm is beyond me.

8. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

and...surprise surprise....the wonderful phone CRASHES!!! I'm reaching my tether!:mad:

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I was able to talk and surf on my prior AT&T 3G WinMo phones, too. I could be on a handsfree (BlueTooth) call in my car while Googling information. Pretty slick.

ETA: Before someone jumps on me for doing this while driving, I wasn't driving. In one case, I was parked in a parking lot. Other times, my wife was driving.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

One of the reasons I want to upgrade. I don't know how many times I am talking and want to que something up and I can't.....

But at least you can do it with 3g......

11. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

nevermind

12. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

I tried it using the Treo 750 and the original blackjack. In both cases it would always tell me data wasn't available. Maybe it was a handset thing. Which phones were you using?

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Works on AT&T. Yes users can talk and perform data functions at the same time with the 3G iphone while on 3G connection. You should read reviews before posting your unfounded speculation.

Read this page:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/wireless.html

Some non-approved carriers don't have it set up properly.

14. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

One of the phones was a blackjack II and as long as I had 3g service it wasn't a problem. Sounds to me like you were not getting a 3g connection (at least with the trek).

15. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I had a Blackjack, but I disabled 3G on it due to the extremely-weak battery life. My next phone was a Blackjack II which worked and then a Moto Q9h, which also worked. I have decent 3G coverage in my area, so it was on 3G when I did it.

16. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Quick note: WCDMA ≠ CDMA. WCDMA is a technology used by UMTS (successor to GSM). cdmaOne (2G) and CDMA2000 (2.5/3G) are technologies used by CDMA.