surf internet and talk on phone at sametime

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
im sure it will drain your battery but if u have wifi on and conected to it.. u can sure and talk at same time.. thats pretty cool

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
It's not really a "feature" but a limitation with GSM, not the iPhone's problem.

3G (WCDMA) will let you use the data connection and talk at the same time.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
It's not really a "feature" but a limitation with GSM, not the iPhone's problem.

3G (WCDMA) will let you use the data connection and talk at the same time.
Umm... AFAIK WCDMA still does not support simultaneous voice and data. The last 3G CDMA phone I had w/ Verizon (a BB Curve) didn't allow me to do that. Then again neither did my GSM 3G Palm Treo 750.

The iPhone 3G is the first phone I've ever seen work with both data and voice at the same time. Just the other day I was talking to a friend who was telling me about a youtube video... i was able to watch the video while still having him on the phone. Again, AFAIK, such things are still not possible on CDMA. I've certainly never seen it demostrated or advertised.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Umm... AFAIK WCDMA still does not support simultaneous voice and data. The last 3G CDMA phone I had w/ Verizon (a BB Curve) didn't allow me to do that. Then again neither did my GSM 3G Palm Treo 750.

The iPhone 3G is the first phone I've ever seen work with both data and voice at the same time. Just the other day I was talking to a friend who was telling me about a youtube video... i was able to watch the video while still having him on the phone. Again, AFAIK, such things are still not possible on CDMA. I've certainly never seen it demostrated or advertised.
Ummm, your iPhone 3G uses WCDMA for 3G service as does the Palm Treo 750 so why it didn't work on your Palm is beyond me.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

I was able to talk and surf on my prior AT&T 3G WinMo phones, too. I could be on a handsfree (BlueTooth) call in my car while Googling information. Pretty slick.

ETA: Before someone jumps on me for doing this while driving, I wasn't driving. In one case, I was parked in a parking lot. Other times, my wife was driving.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
I was able to talk and surf on my prior AT&T 3G WinMo phones, too. I could be on a handsfree (BlueTooth) call in my car while Googling information. Pretty slick.

ETA: Before someone jumps on me for doing this while driving, I wasn't driving. In one case, I was parked in a parking lot. Other times, my wife was driving.
I tried it using the Treo 750 and the original blackjack. In both cases it would always tell me data wasn't available. Maybe it was a handset thing. Which phones were you using?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Works on AT&T. Yes users can talk and perform data functions at the same time with the 3G iphone while on 3G connection. You should read reviews before posting your unfounded speculation.

Read this page:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/wireless.html

Some non-approved carriers don't have it set up properly.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I tried it using the Treo 750 and the original blackjack. In both cases it would always tell me data wasn't available. Maybe it was a handset thing. Which phones were you using?
One of the phones was a blackjack II and as long as I had 3g service it wasn't a problem. Sounds to me like you were not getting a 3g connection (at least with the trek).

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I had a Blackjack, but I disabled 3G on it due to the extremely-weak battery life. My next phone was a Blackjack II which worked and then a Moto Q9h, which also worked. I have decent 3G coverage in my area, so it was on 3G when I did it.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Quick note: WCDMA ≠ CDMA. WCDMA is a technology used by UMTS (successor to GSM). cdmaOne (2G) and CDMA2000 (2.5/3G) are technologies used by CDMA.