Surf the Web...on an LC 580

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by froggytreafrogg, Apr 23, 2009.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I am the proud owner of a Macintosh LC 580 running Mac OS 8.0. Just for kicks, I want to surf the web on this computer. At my home, I have a typical high-speed Internet connection with a Ethernet hub and wireless. It would be great if someone could explain a simple way for me to access the web on my 580. Thanks a bunch. :apple:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The LC-580 has a Communications slot on the motherboard. Most sold to schools had that populated with a 10Base-T ethernet card. It that is the case, all you would need to do is connect an ethernet cable to that port, then configure your TCP/IP settings (or use automatic) and you should be ready to go. If not, you may be able to obtain either a CS Ethernet Card or a Local Talk to Ethernet converter.

TEG

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks for the reply. funny u should mention but i received this from a school. so sad they had no network at the time and probably ordered the lc 580 without any type of ethernet adapter. could u describe the localtalk or cs ethernet adapter to me? i may be able to find one. thanks.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well, according to Wikipedia, M3065Z/A is the model number for the ethernet adapter for the Communications Slot in that model. http://www.atpm.com/network/setup/localtalk_ethernet.htm has an explanation on how to do it with hardware over a LocalTalk network, but I will see if I can find anything else.

TEG