Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hello:

I love both the Surface Pro 3 and the iPad Air. I guess I could use the former for note-taking or reading PDF and magazines because its 12" size, whereas the latter seems to be interesting for couching.

However, I have doubts about overlapping. I mean: do you use them both or owning a SP3 has locked out your iPad Air? Would you buy them both again?

Thanks!

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Hello:

I love both the Surface Pro 3 and the iPad Air. I guess I could use the former for note-taking or reading PDF and magazines because its 12" size, whereas the latter seems to be interesting for couching.

However, I have doubts about overlapping. I mean: do you use them both or owning a SP3 has locked out your iPad Air? Would you buy them both again?

Thanks!

Don't have a Surface 3 but we do have a very small Lenovo Laptop that has touchscreen and folds for Tablet use. My wife uses that mainly as she wanted something with full PC Controls and capabilities. I use my iPad Air more for content consumption like web surfing and email.

So in the end, yes, both have their place. I would say the Surface is much like our Lenovo in that you would likely use it more for production work or creating content and the iPad more for consumption work.

The only reason I don't pick up the Lenovo more has nothing to do with size, it's that the fact it runs Windows 8 which has smaller fonts, etc. is just not as simple to use as an iPad.

Just my thoughts.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
My 2 year old got the iPad, I just found no need for it at all after getting my SP3.

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I didn't touch my iPad since getting my pro 3 weeks ago. If the screen wasn't a bit damaged I would've sold it.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Hello:

Thanks!
I agree with you, my SP3 is too large to comfortably one hand like my Air. I like syncing my iPad to iTunes on my SP3. I think it pisses SIRI off :)

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I didn't touch my iPad since getting my pro 3 weeks ago. If the screen wasn't a bit damaged I would've sold it.

What use do you give your device?

Is SP3 comfortable for reading, for example?

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
What use do you give your device?

Is SP3 comfortable for reading, for example?

Mostly web surfing, netflix and some very light office work (had a logitech keyboard for the iPad). My iPad was my main device and made mr use my laptop less and less. Ultimately I got fed up with the iPad's limitations (safari, can't watch a video and browse the web at the same time) and decided to try a Surface Pro 3 (macbook air was plan B). For my use cases the surface is perfect as a replacement for an Pad and a rarely used laptop: nice aspect ratio (with netflix snapped to the side, the remaining area is too close to the ipad's 4:3), nice sharp screen and has the power necessary for the times when I need to use office, visual studio or a PS2 emulator.

As for reading, it's light enough (coming from an iPad 4) and the screen is beautiful so I'd say it's a nice reading device, if you're fine with reading books on an LCD screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.