Surface Pro 4 Updates and Q&A

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mi7chy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Microsoft just published an updated graphics driver dated 12/2/2015 that should resolve the 'display adapter stopped responding and has recovered', black screen wake from sleep issue some are experiencing and possibly other related issues. Click 'check for updates' if you prefer not to wait.

If you're on the road a lot and need to keep your SP4 powered this cigarette lighter inverter is a good candidate, has positive reviews, no noisy fan, 3ft cord so can be stowed under seat vs bulky unit that sits in your cigarette lighter and available at your local Walmart or ordered online via Amazon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-F...rter-Bonus-Keychain-LED-Light-Bundle/38243758

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Installed this morning, I did get one display driver crash just now. Crossing my fingers that it helps with the black screen from wake.

3. mi7chy, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

mi7chy thread starter macrumors 68040

mi7chy

What software were you using when you had the display crash? Edge browser? If so, Chrome has been solid for me even before yesterday's updates.

Previously only had quirkiness when unplugged from power but with 12/2/2015 graphics and OS updates haven't had any black screen waking from sleep but need another day or two to be fully confident.

The only remaining issue I hope Microsoft fixes is the random audio popping and, again, it only happens when unplugged from power and even when idle with no audio playing.

4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah it's usually Edge browser, it's always had issues with the display driver. Chrome is a POS on a touch tablet so I don't use it. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Edge I've been able to tame it to my needs pretty decently and it's the best browser by far when using the SP in tablet mode. The display crash has improved markedly with Threshold 2 update, I only see it maybe once or twice per week if that.

I've heard of the audio issue, but I've never had it for some reason. Connected standby still seems wonky even with the latest update.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've seen two GPU crashes since the last update, and only experienced the black screen on wake a couple of times altogether. I won't commit and say things are working perfectly just yet, but it is looking promising.

It's definitely a lot better than it was on release, that's for sure.