Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
just found an interesting alternative for surface

I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't sued Acer yet. That's a blatant copy. It has a weaker battery life, which frankly is already a weak point on the surface. That's a deal kill out of the gate for me. But, its a nice device and certainly a less expensive alternative.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I'm still pleased with mine after 9 months. Regarding the concerns about the fan not keeping up, mine is a i5/16GB model and I run some pretty challenging apps such as Solidworks and Siemens NX and have never had a problem with it getting hot or overheating.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't sued Acer yet. That's a blatant copy. It has a weaker battery life, which frankly is already a weak point on the surface. That's a deal kill out of the gate for me. But, its a nice device and certainly a less expensive alternative.

Microsoft wants others to copy its design. The entire purpose of the surface lineup was to show others how to build a windows tablet, I'm not sure they realized how much of a hit it would be. I've tried a lot of those other tablets and I always go back to my surface, the build quality is second to none IMO. Plus it's nice to have Apple like customer service where I can bring my surface to a physical store if I have any issues.

Reactions: Michael Goff

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i was thinking to buy sp4 but this tablet with liquid cooling sounds quite interesting. however, the screen isnt symmetrical so i quess that would bother me all the time.

the battery life is not issue for me, im would use it 95% at home. i quess i still wait to see sp5 - hopefully a fanless design.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Why would Microsoft sue? Their goal was to make the OEMs make better computers which makes Windows look better. Mission accomplished.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Why would Microsoft sue? Their goal was to make the OEMs make better computers which makes Windows look better. Mission accomplished.

Wow... I didn't realize that was the missing. I guess for a software company it sort of makes sense.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So, after a few days with the Surface I have to say - I love it. This is an amazing device!

Needless to say I haven't touched my iPad or MacBook since the Surface arrived. In fact, I'll be taking this device on a long trip soon and will be leaving Apple devices behind, except for the phone. Still some annoyances to work through, but overall this is one hell of a device!

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So, after a few days with the Surface I have to say - I love it. This is an amazing device!

Needless to say I haven't touched my iPad or MacBook since the Surface arrived. In fact, I'll be taking this device on a long trip soon and will be leaving Apple devices behind, except for the phone. Still some annoyances to work through, but overall this is one hell of a device!

Yeah when it finally clicks that you have a full freakin desktop class PC in a package not much larger than an ipad you really look at it in amazement. The fact that it doubles as a tablet makes it that much more incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.