Surface Pro 6

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by otherguy5, Nov 5, 2018.

1. otherguy5 macrumors member

I'm thinking of jumping ship from the Macbook Air (early 2014) due mainly to the keyboard. Anyone here care to share their experience with the Surface Pro 6 or earlier models? Mainly, how has the alcantara keyboard cover held up? Is there an alternative cover that doesn't have the alcantara? And does it feel as seamless and smooth as Mac OS?

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I have the previous version. Surface Pro 2017 (gen.5). Alcantara keyboard has held up well for me. I occasionally clean it with some Sonax upholstery and Alcantara cleaner, but still looks good after 14 months of pretty heavy use and travel.
    I prefer the type cover keyboard to any of the current butterfly keyboards that Apple is selling.

Microsoft does still sell the Surface Pro Type Cover and SPTC w/ fingerprint ID, which I believe still work with current models but are offered in black only.

The Surface Pro was the first Windows PC I had purchased in about 12 years and NT was the last version of Windows I had used. There was a brief transition period for me as was to be expected. But I have had no issues or problems with Windows 10 or the Surface Pro and it has become my favorite "go to" device.

Microsoft does offer a 30 day return period, so you do have some time to see how it works for you.

3. dafodeu macrumors member

If you are switching from a MacBook Air why not go with the Surface Laptop 2? Much faster than the new Air's since they have quad-core processors and start $200 dollars cheaper. Keyboard is very nice I tried one out at Best Buy the other day. It has about as much depth in the keys as previous MacBook Airs. So if you have a Best Buy close by check them out there.

4. otherguy5 thread starter macrumors member

The only reason I'm hesitating with the laptop is due to the alcantara. With the Surface Pro, at least I can replace the keyboard. Otherwise, I'd definitely opt for the Surface Laptop.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018 ---
    What color did you get out of curiosity? I heard the platinum one gets dirty real easily and even turns yellow over time.

5. dafodeu macrumors member

Because I have carpel tunnel I have been using the Surface Ergonomic Bluetooth Keyboard over the last 2 years. It has the platinum alcantara as the wrist support and yes over the 2 years it has become slightly discolored. Not yellow just darker in the areas where my wrist lay. I would definitely recommend either the Black or Blue Surface Laptop 2 to avoid this.

6. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I got the Cobalt Blue. I have heard that Microsoft has changed these to add a protective layer to them to help prevent fading staining, but not sure if it is true. I also haven’t tried using Scotchguard or the like on them.

I notice my palm areas tend to get a little shiny and darker over time, but the Sonax cleaner cleans it up. I think it was $12 for the bottle and a little foam goes a long way.

This photo was from a recent motorcycle camping trip. The bag has picked up some abuse over 6 years and a lot of dust from the off-road portions, but the Alcantara still looks good.

[​IMG]

This one from the back deck in August. About a year into ownership

[​IMG]

Microsoft should have made the Alcantara pads with the laptop removable/replaceable imho. That would have been a great selling point and an aftermarket sales boost for Microsoft if people could replace them, change colors, etc.

Edit: I see there is a black cover for the Go, that has to be coming for the Pro as well right?