Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I am all in with Apple. My wife, daughter and I each have an iPhone, ipad and laptop. We also have two iMacs. We could replace the iPads, laptops and iMacs with Surface Pros (3) with LTE, two 27” monitors and two Surface docks. That would be mobile, connected and tablets (yes I know it isn’t the same as an iPad) when we wanted to use them that way. We do not write code, produce music or game other than iPhone games.

I have a few questions:
1. Why doesn’t Apple have a device that could do this?
2. How do you think the Windows PC experience would be? I use a PC laptop for work running Windows 7 (I know it is EOL soon, but that is not the part of IT I work in); I don’t have experience with Windows 10.
3. How is it having an iPhone and PC? I know the iPhone is less dependent a computer than it used to be, but I have never NOT had a Mac with an iPhone.

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
1. Do exactly what? Be specific.
2. Windows 10 is pretty stable, one of the best OS Microsoft released, especially if you compare it to Windows 8 which was a very big mess. On the other hand there are rumours that Apple will introduce few nice updates to design of the next OS, I've heard also about Siri improvements and a new universal App store for macOS. Generally macOS High Sierra was all about under the hood improvements, so we all expect the next version to bring at least few new features and design improvements.
3. iTunes is available on both the macOS and Windows so no issues there, on macOS you can airdrop the pics directly to your Mac and in Windows you can fast access and copy past pics directly from your iPhone folder (if its connected via cable). So no big issues there as well. Although macOS has the universal clipboard which I personally find very helpful. And the continuity feature. Windows lacks this 2 features.

Windows devices tend to get slower by time and you run into software issues more frequently. Apple devices get slower by time as well, but not so fast. On the other hand Windows devices are way cheaper to replace/upgrade to newer model.

Reactions: bruinsrme

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I am all in with Apple. My wife, daughter and I each have an iPhone, ipad and laptop. We also have two iMacs. We could replace the iPads, laptops and iMacs with Surface Pros (3) with LTE, two 27” monitors and two Surface docks. That would be mobile, connected and tablets (yes I know it isn’t the same as an iPad) when we wanted to use them that way. We do not write code, produce music or game other than iPhone games.

I have a few questions:
1. Why doesn’t Apple have a device that could do this?
2. How do you think the Windows PC experience would be? I use a PC laptop for work running Windows 7 (I know it is EOL soon, but that is not the part of IT I work in); I don’t have experience with Windows 10.
3. How is it having an iPhone and PC? I know the iPhone is less dependent a computer than it used to be, but I have never NOT had a Mac with an iPhone.

Management of pics/vids is way easier on pc period hands down

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
1. Do exactly what? Be specific.
2. Windows 10 is pretty stable, one of the best OS Microsoft released, especially if you compare it to Windows 8 which was a very big mess. On the other hand there are rumours that Apple will introduce few nice updates to design of the next OS, I've heard also about Siri improvements and a new universal App store for macOS. Generally macOS High Sierra was all about under the hood improvements, so we all expect the next version to bring at least few new features and design improvements.
3. iTunes is available on both the macOS and Windows so no issues there, on macOS you can airdrop the pics directly to your Mac and in Windows you can fast access and copy past pics directly from your iPhone folder (if its connected via cable). So no big issues there as well. Although macOS has the universal clipboard which I personally find very helpful. And the continuity feature. Windows lacks this 2 features.

Windows devices tend to get slower by time and you run into software issues more frequently. Apple devices get slower by time as well, but not so fast. On the other hand Windows devices are way cheaper to replace/upgrade to newer model.

For #1, I am asking why doesn't Apple have a device that is touch screen, can dock, can be a tablet, can run a computer OS and has an option for LTE/4G. Is it because Microsoft isn't historically a computer company as much as a software company and the Surface is what got them into the game? Is it because Apple knows one device like this would take sales from the iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro? I wonder how much such a device would be.

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
For #1, I am asking why doesn't Apple have a device that is touch screen, can dock, can be a tablet, can run a computer OS and has an option for LTE/4G. Is it because Microsoft isn't historically a computer company as much as a software company and the Surface is what got them into the game? Is it because Apple knows one device like this would take sales from the iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro? I wonder how much such a device would be.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...13i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1.243.1KBUWJx4qPI

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas

Thanks for the link! Here is my takeaway:
- if they just had the option for LTE on a MacBook Pro that would be welcomed by me
- a Hybrid OS on a small form factor system doesn’t need a touchscreen. It does however need a thin keyboard with a trackpad
- if I had a small form factor device with a hybrid OS, LTE, removable keyboard and trackpad that I can dock...that is what I really want. The touchscreen is not really necessary

Just last night I took my 12.9” iPad Pro out of the Logitech keyboard case. This is very rare and I only did it because I have a crack in the side of the case that I need to glue. I already use a keyboard with it all the time and I have been seriously considering the Apple keyboard because it is thinner overall.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I'm wondering what your current systems aren't doing that you see the need to replace tens of thousands of dollars of equipment right now, seemingly because you can.

What is the issue that your solution is trying to solve?

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I'm wondering what your current systems aren't doing that you see the need to replace tens of thousands of dollars of equipment right now, seemingly because you can.

What is the issue that your solution is trying to solve?

My current systems are doing what I want. However, depending on what I want/need to do I have three different systems to use. Is that necessary in 2018? I am not sure because I don’t know if a Surface Pro would be miserable for me, provide the same experience overall or be a big improvement.

LOL...it is a lot of money, but I don’t think it is tens of thousands...I don’t want to add it in my head on second thought. The iPads alone are probably $3,500

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
I see in your signature that one of your Macs is a 2011 model. It's old. What you can try to do is, just buy 1 for now, use it for 2 months and see for your self if you like the Surface. If you like it, then buy the second one, if not, it's still win win. Firstly because you gonna have a new model machine is the house and secondly Windows PCs can be handy sometimes, plus that you can take it with you anywhere and also it can work as a tablet.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I see in your signature that one of your Macs is a 2011 model. It's old. What you can try to do is, just buy 1 for now, use it for 2 months and see for your self if you like the Surface. If you like it, then buy the second one, if not, it's still win win. Firstly because you gonna have a new model machine is the house and secondly Windows PCs can be handy sometimes, plus that you can take it with you anywhere and also it can work as a tablet.

Yes, my 27” iMac is a 2011. I added RAM a while ago and installed a SSD. It is still a workhorse and is the only CD/DVD reader in the House.

I may get one Surface and a monitor; I am not sure yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009

Well for instance on a pc you can keep your folders as they are organized by the even and year and folders for videos as well. When it comes time to transfer all that by Mac uh yea it gets organized as Apple see fit you have to go back in organize the folders they way you want them hunt down all the pics and videos that correlate

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
When it comes time to transfer all that by Mac uh yea it gets organized as Apple
You can easily manage your pics and videos as you see fit on a mac. In fact I do that right now. I'm not sure why you think you cannot organize your digital media. There are plenty of tools out there that provide all sorts of options

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.