Surface Pro vs rMBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butters149, Apr 30, 2013.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I currently own a surface pro right now, and use it mainly for writing notes on, however I am currently done writing notes. I find that the processor is not all that good for gaming on the HD4000.

I was wondering if I should keep it or trade it for a rMBP 15 plus $500 cash?

THanks,

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Depends somewhat on the specifications of the rMBP, but that sounds like a smart trade no matter what.

3. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

it is the base model rMBP 15" which he bought for $1925 including tax, it was refurbed. I got mine with 128GB for about $1300 including tax.

4. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Not even comparable. The surface pro is a sleek portable 2lb ultrabook with an i5 processor. Sure with it's ssd its not a bad laptop/tablet to have it would solve most anyone's need and well. But as far as gaming and being a full laptop? It can't compare to the rMBP 15' maybe the 13 inch but not on the 15 the 15 has starting with double the capacity of the max ssd on the surface and has a discrete gpu. If you wanna game and aren't gonna be handwriting anymore then i'd say spend the money and get a full laptop like the rMBP but if u want the light portable tablet factor and u can mostly do everything on there it's not worth it imo. I love the surface pro I'd prefer it over a MBA any day and possibly even the 13' rMBP but to the 15 there is just too much the 15' is capable of that the surface can't especially in gaming.

5. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Are you just kidding? rMBP all the life... surface pro is very bad to me.... the worst design ever seen... it has all the bad things of a notebook and of a tablet alltogether! it weights a lot, it has poor battery... do I forget anything worse than these two?

6. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

ugh, I owned a rMBP 15 before too. I find the surface pro to be really handy to write with and one note. but I am done with my notes for mcat. I was hoping to save up for a Note 10.1 for writing since it has better battery life. I really do miss the gaming aspects of the rMBP, I want to play games such as Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite and starcraft 2 heart of the swarm on settings other than low.

7. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

If you wanna game above medium settings, you're gonna need a discrete GPU and a rMBP

You wouldn't use the Surface Pro for gaming, for the same reason you wouldn't use a Macbook Air

8. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Two complete different things. If you plan to game, you should go with a rMBP or a Windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card. While the rMBP is a better laptop overall than any other offering, and has an amazing screen which has not yet found a parallel in the Windows world, a laptop with a better video card could be more suitable for the purpose of playing games.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Keep it and buy a PS3/4/ Wii/U/ XBOX360/720 and you'll be fine.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Money wise it sounds like a decent deal.

I wouldn't even know where to start if you asked me to compare the devices. At best the Surface Pro is in a league with the 11'' Air, with the difference that the SP can be used as a tablet while the Air has a much more solid laptop experience (i.e. better Keyboard, Touchpad, etc).

The rMBP is so far ahead... it's a full blown mobile workstation, powerful CPU and graphics, amazing screen... of course it is also heavier and needs more space.

11. swerve147, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Tell him to drop his price. An Apple Certified Refurb base 15 inch rMBP is now $1679.00.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

PC gaming is a different beast though. Console games are rarely discounted from their $60 USD price. Get the PC equivalent on Steam, on the other hand, and games get a lot cheaper. I think Butters is on the right track, just paying too much for the exchange.