Surfing the net with Macbook via mobile phone

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rodedwards, Jul 7, 2010.

1. rodedwards macrumors member

Hi !
    I'm new to this forum so pardon me if this question has been asked before ...
    I'm in the UK and would like to connect my Vodafone mobile phone (Sony W890i) to my laptop so i can surf the net using the bluetooth connection.
    Is this possible and if so, how do i set this up ?
    I'm running OSX 10.6.4.
    I also wonder if the new iphone 4 can be connected to laptop so i can surf the net and still view websites with Flash interactivity ?
    Any ideas ... surely there must be a way ?
    Thanks !!!
    :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Connect both devices (phone and Mac) and set the phone up as a modem via System Preferences > Network > Bluetooth.

And yes, as you only use the phone as a modem, even the iPhone, you can view Flash content, as it does not use the phone's CPU or Flash (in)capabilities to render Flash, but the Mac's capability to show Flash.

3. rodedwards thread starter macrumors member

Wow !!! So easy !!!

Wow ... thanks for your advice ... that was soooo easy !

Incredibly helpful ... wonder how much my mobile phone bill will be now though ?! :confused:

I guess I get charged for data transfer from my phone network / mb ... but Flash works a treat too on the laptop (tho bit slow to download).

I have a 3G service on my Sony phone, would the iPhone 4 be any faster when connected to my laptop ?

Thanks again in advance ... :D

4. brassguy98 macrumors newbie

I connect my MacBook and my 867 G4 PowerBook through bluetooth to my phone which is an LG Vx8350. I pay $24.00 a month for mobile broadband through Verizon Wireless. I got a great deal when I signed up for it last November. That gets me 5 gigs of data transfer a month.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I have thought about doing this, but am wondering what kinds of speeds are you getting? It is painfully slow? Can you watch a YouTube video, for instance, without stuttering? Would go this route if speed is at least usable.

Thanks for your input!

6. brassguy98 macrumors newbie

It's very useable. It's not as fast as having a cable modem like I have at home, but if you're patient and give the video a few moments to get going before you start to play it's fine. It's a gozilion times faster than dial-up ever was, and for travel purposes, I'm very happy with it. Am definitely excited though for Verizon's LTE network to become available. That's going to be super fast.