Surfing using a Standard user account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Luba, May 2, 2011.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

When you surf do you use a Standard or Admin user account?

I was told it's safer to use a Standard user account. Can I convert my Admin user to Standard, then switch it to Admin when I install software & software updates? Or am I locked in to one type of user for the life of the account? I believe the only time I need an Admin account is when I do install software, correct? What other limitations are they in using a Standard account on a daily basis?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you want safer web surfing then consider getting a free OpenDNS.com and open a free account. Then you can control your DNS to block known Trojan hosting sites like shown in this instructional video. Don;t worry, they have DNS servers in Europe and the far east also. I use them to block know Trojan hosting sites and their DNS even sped up my surfing.

Now surfing in OS X is kind of cool. When you download something OS
    X first asked you if you really want to open the file. Then one thing I can tell you is to open Safari's Preferences and uncheck 'Open Safe files after downloading". This will help keep you safe.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I just use a Standard account for almost everything.

No you'll want to create a second admin account, then switch your current account to be a standard account. You will always want at-least one account to be an admin account.

When installing software whilst logged in as a Standard user or say changing various settings in System Preferences, or running Repair Permissions etc... it will ask for the admins username and password if the account you are on is a standard account. You don't have to switch (login) to the admin account.

There are very few additional limitations, you'll just find yourself having to enter the admin accounts username and password whenever you need to do something that changes the system in some way, which I don't find happens that often. One of the few times I find myself needing to actually log in as the admin user is to read certain logs using the Console application.

4. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

No you'll want to create a second admin account, then switch your current account to be a standard account. You will always want at-least one account to be an admin account.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luba
    I believe the only time I need an Admin account is when I do install software, correct?
    When installing software whilst logged in as a Standard user or say changing various settings in System Preferences, or running Repair Permissions etc... it will ask for the admins username and password if the account you are on is a standard account. You don't have to switch (login) to the admin account.

Oh, that's awesome, so when I am using a standard account, I can give permission via one of my admin account to install software etc. for that one command, then I am automatically back to using a standard account?

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Pretty much, yeah.

If you want to give it a go without messing around with your current account, just create a new standard user account (not admin) and try say changing some preferences in System Preferences that relate to the system, or try installing a new application.

6. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I use a Standard account for all my day-to-day stuff. Once in a while I need to enter the admin name/pw, but it's no big deal.