Surge Protector Reccommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RBru, Oct 21, 2008.

1. RBru macrumors newbie

I would like some reccommendations on which surge protector I should buy. I own a new iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz and have a G-Tech G-DRIVE Q hooked up to it.

I am looking for good protection under $200. Battery backup would be cool, but I am starting to think that it would be useless since the only reason to have it would be to have time to save my files, but I work with large files that often take around 10 min. to save and most battery backups don't last that long.

Ultimately I am looking for a good surge protector that save my equipment and notify me when it has been zapped so I can replace it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I would get a battery backup no matter what. If you're like most people, you'll get momentary power outages/voltage drops that will mess with your machine. I have been quite pleased with APC units. They come in all sizes and price ranges, including ones that will last more than 10 minutes (what gobbles power is the monitor, and those use a lot less power than they used to).

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I live in the boonies. We have power hiccups weekly and it's a pain, even with a laptop (time machine drive drops out, peripherals drop out, modem drops out, etc). I have several APC battery backups (okay, by several read "3" :rolleyes:). I purchased all of them from APC's factory refurb store and saved a nice chunk of change. I've had one of them for more than two years and nary a problem with any yet. You'll be able to find a great battery backup for far less than your budget.