Surge Protector??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

$4000 computer.
    $29.99 out of stock 'back up battery'

It don't jive dude. It just don't jive.

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Lol. It's actually $5,500, but who's counting.

Yeah I'll take a look at better ones like mentioned above. So what is the power supply on the Mac Pro? 1kw?

Also can I connect another computer and monitors to this same unit?

4. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

That $29.99 UPS can either protect the $4000 computer or it can't. I am not saying that this is a good UPS, but I see no reason why a UPS worthy of protecting an expensive computer has to also be expensive - so look at the technical specs and reviews, not just the price tag.

- Martin

6. termina3 macrumors 65816

Yes, it'll protect it. But you won't have much runtime in the event of a power failure.

I have an APC 1250, which provides ~25 minutes to the MP in my sig. That's obviously more than enough for me. It cost around $100 at Sam's

7. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

For one, it won't work because it's "out of stock".

Two, for the wattage of the computer I am using to be 1kW, I am going to want something that will give me a runtime of more than 5 minutes with a monitor connected. I am going to assume the OP has at least a 23 incher to work with, if not more.

Also, power conditioning is pretty important for me if I value my $5500 investment. My power here in Florida spikes, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen the electricity "shudder" and been very happy I spent $$$ on APC. APC has the "run purely on the battery" feature if I am correct.

Sure, a $29.99 UPS will protect and sustain. But...for how well and for how long?

8. ronss macrumors member

as for surge protectors,,,they are to be replaced every 2 years... most folks don,t know this.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't really care if power shuts down here, but I just don't want my computer to fry. It's not like I am running the Mac as a server, just need a surge protector to be safe. I am using a direct connection to the wall right now, which I know is not safe.

Should I just grab a surge protector now and then invest in a good APC backup later on? Can't afford to spend $300+ on a battery backup right now.

10. termina3 macrumors 65816

Go with a cheap APC UPS. This will give you the best line cleaning (even the best surge protectors can't do everything; sometimes you need to pull from the battery), and you can pick one up for about $50.

Or you could get the UPS I mentioned earlier that I use... $120 at sam's I think

11. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks!

Do you have any APC surge protectors in mind? Monster seems to be overpriced, I'd rather get APC.

12. Blogger macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend any cheap UPS. The Mac Pro has a heavy amperage draw on wake, and even supposedly well specced UPSs can stall under the load. The test is, put it to sleep and yank the plug on the UPS. A cheap one will not have enough power available to wake up the computer. You need 1000VA at the very minimum, a good 750VA will work for a short while, but as soon as the battery droops a little, you're out of luck. In your case I'd buy a reasonably good surge protector and save up for a 1000VA or preferably 1500VA (especially if you are powering any accessories) APC Smart-UPS or equivalent.

Because OSX now uses a journaled file system, it won't get corrupted if the power disappears suddenly anyway, you are only likely to lose unsaved work on open documents. So a good spike protector is mandatory, but UPS is not. However, if you get one, get a good one.

13. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't mind spending $50-$100 right now on a surge protector.

Got any in mind?

14. Blogger macrumors 6502

I've had good luck with APC, but there are other good brands around.

APC has a selector help page here:

http://www.apc.com/tools/surge_selector/

Most have up to $75,000 or $100,000 equipment damage insurance, no good if you've lost your priceless software project, but probably enough to buy a new computer if it does get fried!

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you are looking at UPSs, skip anything that doesn't have AVR.

Without AVR, you might as well just get a surge protector. Since the chance that the UPS actually keeps the machine running is a coin toss.

Spend some money, get a good UPS with AVR.

16. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I have used them all. APC, TrippLite, Belkin, with or without battery backup. Any of these brands can be considered disposable. They'll all evenryallu wear out after several years, just due to the wear and tear of power fluctuations on their components. And once they take their final surge, they can catch fire.

I've had several TrippLite units fry themselves in storms or brownouts, but they protected what was on them. They were about $50 each, protecting > $2000 equipment, so that's not too bad.

If you want a surge protector that will not sacrifice itself, there aren't many -- BrickWall and ZeroSurge are the only ones I know of. Look them up. I now have several BrickWalls scattered throughout the house, and have never lost a unit or anything that it was protecting.

17. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

18. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

19. canadagrad macrumors newbie

Yeeeah, I SO have a $29.99 one and after reading that simple but effective comment, you have just really put that into perspective for me.
    Thanks,:rolleyes:

20. termina3 macrumors 65816

I have the "this" pretty much (I have a 1250 instead of the 1300). Seriously, I got it at Sams for $120–it must have been on sale or something. I don't quite understand the difference of $150 here–you spent big bucks on a $4-5k computer, why are you holding back now?

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We had one member here complain about his UPS not working in Florida, turned out it was a battery backup. And they simply do not work when the power drops (brownout) or might not clamp fast enough to make up for bad power.

Which is why we almost all recommend a UPS with AVR, vs a POS battery backup.

Plus, clean power reduces a heck of a lot of problems that people may associate with SW or HW -- usually the kind that happen at home, but not in the repair shop.

22. mrpointy macrumors newbie

Wondering why you say this, what do you know about it ???

I've noticed with my surge protector, a belkin surgemaster, that the green light indicating 'Protected', slowly gets dimmer and dimmer, I would say over a period of 18 months to 2 years.