Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Can someone explain what "dirty electricity" is exactly? I'm off to Walmart today and see about getting this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3371537
that was talked about in another post a long time ago.
But if I have dirty electricity - would this help?
I'm not really aware of surges or brownouts here. Lights don't flicker or dim. But if they are very, very slight they could still be affecting my computer.
I'm still getting static or zapping from my emac, every so often. And yes, I will take it into the shop if need be.
But I keep thinking -- could this be from the electricity. Nothing else seems to be effected - TV etc.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
bought a UPS

ok, went to Walmart and they didn't have anything that I wanted to spend money on and feel protected with it. I didn't want to order on line and wait for it to come in so I went to CompUSA and bought a UPS machine.
Good thing too -- we are having some thunder storms and just as I shut down my computer - WHAM huge power surge from lightening!!
Anyway, question.... on the hookup, it came with a usb cord with a phone hookup on the other end. But when I used that, I couldn't get a dial tone on computer. Soooo, this is how I have things hooked up: computer cord plugged into UPS, phone cord coming from house plugged into UPS, another phone cord plugged into UPS with other end going into computer.
Is this ok? Am I covered??
Now I need to install the software that came with it so that it will automatically shut down computer if need be.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Cindy said:
ok, went to Walmart and they didn't have anything that I wanted to spend money on and feel protected with it. I didn't want to order on line and wait for it to come in so I went to CompUSA and bought a UPS machine.
Good thing too -- we are having some thunder storms and just as I shut down my computer - WHAM huge power surge from lightening!!
Anyway, question.... on the hookup, it came with a usb cord with a phone hookup on the other end. But when I used that, I couldn't get a dial tone on computer. Soooo, this is how I have things hooked up: computer cord plugged into UPS, phone cord coming from house plugged into UPS, another phone cord plugged into UPS with other end going into computer.
Is this ok? Am I covered??
Now I need to install the software that came with it so that it will automatically shut down computer if need be.

The USB cord is for the software to manage shutdown of your computer if you're not there -- after X number of minutes the UPS sends a signal to the computer. Mostly, this software is Windows only, although your package may vary. Do not plug the USB/Phone cord thing into your phone outlet.

The only time you use a phone cord to the wall is if you are using a dial up telephone modem, in which case if the UPS has a phone surge suppression feature it will protect the modem from a surge. If you are using a broadband internet connection, do not connect the modem.

Please, read the manuals that came with the unit - it can answer your questions better than we.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
The USB cord is for the software to manage shutdown of your computer if you're not there -- after X number of minutes the UPS sends a signal to the computer. Mostly, this software is Windows only, although your package may vary. Do not plug the USB/Phone cord thing into your phone outlet.

The only time you use a phone cord to the wall is if you are using a dial up telephone modem, in which case if the UPS has a phone surge suppression feature it will protect the modem from a surge. If you are using a broadband internet connection, do not connect the modem.

Please, read the manuals that came with the unit - it can answer your questions better than we.

I just figured that part out -- usb is for the detection of software :eek:
It's for either windows or the Mac. Although it was supposed to put it into the hd and it's not there. I'll have to re-do it and see where it went???
The instructions that came with it SUCK!! I am on a dial up connection. So, I have to be hooked up with phone line.
And yes, this UPS has a phone line protection.
The instructions show the wall outlet going (phone line) going into the UPS and the usb port and another phone line cord going into the UPS and then into a phone (picture of a telephone) --- AH - thats got to be for a fax machine.

Edited portion: oK, I found it. It stuck it into systems preferences in an area of its own. Thats cool.
I guess I'll keep things hooked up the way it is since it's working. Unless any of you guys think not.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I hate to even ask this question because it is going to sound SO dumb but the APC website doesn't answer it and tech. support doesn't work on weekends. So here goes.... (don't laugh).... Do I need to keep the usb port connected into the computer? The info is all downloaded.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Cindy said:
I hate to even ask this question because it is going to sound SO dumb but the APC website doesn't answer it and tech. support doesn't work on weekends. So here goes.... (don't laugh).... Do I need to keep the usb port connected into the computer? The info is all downloaded.

Yes you do. This allows the UPS to shut down the computer.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
battery life

The guy at the store said that the battery should be replaced every year. Is this true?

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
Alternatively, no, not necessary if you are not using the software shutdown feature.

Ok - I don't have many usb ports on emac. When I want to use the zip drive, I have to unplug something to use that and same goes for the scanner.
So, same concept I guess.
When I leave the computer, I'll plug in the shut down usb so that is in place when I'm not here. I always leave computer in sleep mode unless I'm gone for more than a few days.

Also, how important is it to put laptops on UPS's? Obviously when you're away from home, you're not going to carry around a huge UPS machine. I guess, just don't use them during storms etc.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Cindy said:
Ok - I don't have many usb ports on emac. When I want to use the zip drive, I have to unplug something to use that and same goes for the scanner.
So, same concept I guess.
When I leave the computer, I'll plug in the shut down usb so that is in place when I'm not here. I always leave computer in sleep mode unless I'm gone for more than a few days.

Or you could buy a USB hub.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Cindy said:
Also, how important is it to put laptops on UPS's? Obviously when you're away from home, you're not going to carry around a huge UPS machine. I guess, just don't use them during storms etc.
well, a laptop has its own battery so the battery back up portion of the UPS would be a bit redundant. You can get a good, small-sized surge suppressor for travelling, to filter out spikes and noise on the AC line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.