Surgery stories

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaduu, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

On Friday I had my first operation and was just wondering how many people on MR have had, or will be having, surgery.

Mine was a simple knee arthroscopy to correct a torn meniscus. The surgeon I'd been seeing prior to the op said it was a strange injury for my age 'cause it's usually associated with degeneration of the knee joint. Either way, I got to sample some first-class tranquilisers and anaesthetic so I'm happy.

I'm not happy about the ten days on crutches and self-injecting, though.

So then, anyone have any more interesting stories?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I have a cadaver bone surgically implanted in my hand. I impacted the metacarple bone and I had four 10 gauge 3 inch rods sticking out of my hand for a few months. The dead guy's bone is keeping me from having severe arthiritis, even though I already have it and I'm 19. I also have 4 dot scars and an inch long scar on my hand.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Woah - I had the same in March. However they ended up taking the worst part away, which I didn't really want.

I'm now able to run, and ran 2 miles yesterday, with the only problem being a little twinge after running along some badly cambered pavement.

The surgery, well I don't remember much from it, and the incisions are literally just little marks now.

My OS said that it was a rare injury, but in rugby players (which is my sport) its a little more common. The arthroscopy showed that I slightly damaged my ACL at the same time as the meniscus, but it repaired itself really nicely.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Ooooh, bonus if you guys can show us X-rays/photos!

My most exciting and share-worthy surgery was having a blood clot removed from my brain. (epidural hematoma in the right parietal-occipital region, for anyone curious) They shaved part of my head, drilled a hole and sucked it out with some sort of syringe. I was totally awake. I didn't like being restrained (they put your head in the mother of all vices) but it wasn't so bad, and I get to say I've had brain surgery!

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I've had an appendectomy and a tonsillectomy. They both went smoothly. I was in the hospital for two days after my appendectomy and I left after like a half hour after I got my tonsils out.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. joro macrumors 68020

joro

My father in law was dropped before he was all the way under when they were moving him from his hospital bed to the operating table. He was having a hip replacement done at the time. :eek:

8. Shaduu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Well that's the kind of recovery I was hoping for. The surgery was only three days ago but I'm already able to walk on it with minimal pain despite having a full leg bandage. I surf pretty much everyday and the surgeon said that could have been a factor in the tear thanks to the constant twisting of the joint. Mind you, I've been complaining about my knees since I was about 3 or 4 (now 18) so no one's quite sure what caused it.

I take it your arthroscopy was performed under local anaesthetic too; how did you deal with seeing strange metal instruments being stuffed into your knee? At first I was freaked out and then the tranquilisers the anaesthetist gave me kicked in and I found the whole thing hilarious.

I have MRIs, X-Rays and photos from inside my knee. Take your pick. :D

9. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

compound fracture - left forearm - 3 surgeries and various metal plates and screws- good times. too many stitches to count.

hernia- right pelvis area - 19 stiches

10. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

In October of 2008, I had a Mandibular Maxillary Osteotomy. Before the surgery, I had an open bite and my jaw line was not structured correctly. The surgeon broke jaw and realigned everything.

They implanted a titanium plate in my chin to help bring my chin out more (I asked for a Jay Leno chin, but he didn't find that funny). During the realignment, he moved my jaw forward a whole bunch. The pictures below show how much my facial structure changed by having the surgery completed, but I have significant nerve damage in my chin. The nerves in my chin never regenerated and a good portion of my chin constantly feels numb.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

@Sideonecincy
    It looks great!
    Sorry to hear about the nerve damage though. :(

12. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I'm having a throat operation (tonsils and what they suspect to be a tumor) on the 7. of August. I'm nervous and I hate hospitals.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I had the tip of my right pinky finger reattached when I was 5 years old. It was slammed almost completely off in a door.

To this day, the tip of that finger is smaller than the rest of the finger, almost child-size.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

[​IMG]

Oral surgeon had to saw through some bone and flesh to get a couple of those puppies out. :)

16. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

I had a vasectomy several years ago. Didn't hurt much, but lying there on the table, I just kept praying that the Dr. wouldn't slip or sneeze while working next my johnson!

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Had my adenoids out when I was 14, and when I woke up from anesthesia I started freaking out. I was at a children's hospital so there was some sort of nursery rhyme or something like that painted on the wall in big letters but I couldn't read it, it literally made no sense. It was scary because I knew that I was supposed to be able to read but for some reason I couldn't. I also was screaming and thrashing about uncontrollably. I knew I needed to calm down but I couldn't control myself; it was not very pleasant. They ended up strapping me down because I started swinging my fists at the nurses once I became aware of them.

Last week I had another surgical procedure done to re-construct my nose, I had broken it two weeks earlier and my right nostril was completely crushed. I warned the Anesthesiologist about my mishap after anesthesia the last time and asked him for a benzodiazepine of some kind to try and prevent a similar thing from happening. He said that what happened to me is somewhat common in teenagers, and that he wasn't worried about it now. I woke up peacefully this time with no outside interference.

SLC

18. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Eh, hopefully the nerves regenerate, but if not, oh well. The nerve damage was a resulting problem that we didn't expect, but I accepted it pretty quickly and sorta forget about it (as much as I can)

19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Had deviated septum fixed in 2000 when I was 15 (which has partially grown back :mad:) and impacted wisdom teeth out in 2003

20. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's good, freaking out as an adult is no good. ;)

21. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I've had a broken ankle surgery, and a surgery that required cutting around my abdomen area, after which I had a lot of internal bleeding and almost died. Good luck!

22. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

2x knee surgeries thanks to Ice Hockey and a knee to knee contact. Screwed up my meniscus and LCL..

All said and done its about 98% good, it has its bad days...btw im 22 :p

My Ice Hockey career is over and now i just play pickup and coach

23. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Wow a dead dudes bone! That's awesome! I'm afraid nothing interesting has ever happened to me, I've only gotten stiches on my head after I hit into a cupboard when I was little and all I remember is it bleeding like crazy.

24. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I'm still to squeamish about posting my month-old smashed tibia an fibula surgery, with scars from where they implanted 2 titanium plates and screws. The scabs are falling off.... I find bits and pieces of me every day. I'm finding my impatience with the thought of spending 4 more months like this to be harder to deal with than the iniital, excruciating pain. Like I've posted elsewhere, I totally get how Michael Jackson and others in pain just wish to go to sleep until the pain goes away.
    I had to deal with the injectable blood thinners for one month, but compared to what some of you guys suffered through, I really shouldn't complain.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, I had one of those, too - I didn't count that as "surgery," but I guess it is. :cool: