surgery to remove HD from G4, G3 and PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by supermarky, Dec 7, 2011.

1. supermarky macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have enjoyed liberating the minds of macs into HD enclosures. (Wonder if anybody has use for any of the rest of the bodies? incidentally...)

Anyway with my late metal G5 towers all I needed was a philips screwdrive, but how will I get the HDs out of those plastic G3 and G4 towers in which they're screwed in into what looks something to the nekkid eye like a small small philips screwdriver, but...it must be a specialized tool? Ditto for the outside of these towers?

Where can I find the right tools for this job?

Also, the PowerPC's HD is a thin affair, and even more hopelessly ensconced in the tower, jealously kept princesse! How do I get her outta there?

What specs do I use to look around for an apropriate garment/home for her when extrated? Or might the 3.5 casing I have work?

thank again for your assistance....

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

It's either a #0 or #1 Phillips to get out the HD trays on a G4 tower, IIRC. The towers themselves just open up via the pull tab on the side and then swing down, drawbridge style. :confused:

You can put the drives in any enclosure that has IDE internals.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

4. supermarky thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. there is one side of one of the drives in which a screw seems pretty inaccessible... maybe I'll need a screwdriver shaped like one of those right angle ikea assembly tools?

I did manage to just boot 2 of the G3/4 towers, weirdly one of them looked ok but whenever I tried to double click on anything there was a sort of reaction a flash of an icon but then nothing happened. I adjusted display thinking maybe somehow stuff was shown offscreen. it doesn't appear, somehow, as though there are any documents whatsoever on that machine's drive, which seems completely impossible.

the power PC... might boot but I don't have the right monitor connection. I forget whether there's an adaptor but think maybe there is?

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Once you unplug the IDE & power cables, there is indeed a #0 phillips screw holding the HDD cage in place. And yes, it is tight down there, but still accessible with proper care & patience :)

Then there are 2 screws on each side of the cage that holds the drive in the cage.

And yes, you can put those drives into any 3.5" IDE/ATA enclosure nottaproblemo, been there, done that more times than I care to admit :)

6. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n