All iPads Surplus of Ipads with celluar connection?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ackmondual, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Many sites, when they do get Ipads on discount, seem to have those with celluar connections (e.g. 3G, 4G, LTE, whatever with VZ or AT&T), but not ones without that. Are the wifi only models generally more popular, or has their been some other factors that skew this, like how many of each of them were produced?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There are a number of factors. Price difference, cheaper tethering and better free wifi networks make the cellular model less popular.

3. ackmondual thread starter macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Even though what's available is what's available, I still feel it's a waste getting one of those discounted deals because if it weren't for the celluar feature, I could've in theory gotten the next model up, or the next capacity tier up.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

Carriers will give u discounts but force u into 24 months of data (usually add a line for their mobile share plans ($10/month). Which is ridiculous to began with since u can just easily just share your own data with ur smartphone without added costs.

Best buy has been trying to off load surplus of iPad Air 1 cellular models and iPad mini 2 cellular models with bigger sales as well.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Which stores are you referring to? I seem to see mostly the opposite (probably because I'm looking for a cellular model ;)). The cellular models are often only discounted if you commit to a wireless plan.

What annoys me even more is that usually only the small memory configurations go on sale. Case in point, Best Buy has the Mini 3 for $50 off this week, but only the 16 GB models (both Wifi and cellular).

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It's too bad the upcharge wasn't an even $100 instead of that $130 nonsense.

Honestly though, I would never buy an iPad again without cellular data support. When you need it or want it you REALLY need or want it! Public wifi can be dodgy and it's so much nicer being able to tap into the wicked fast ATT 4G LTE option when I'm out and about. They also offer a lot of plans and month to month deals so you can find a data plan to fit your needs.

Ipad with cell data is a must, IMO.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Carriers have been heavily discounting iPads and other tablets in order to add more subscriber numbers lately. In exchange for signing up for new contracts or payment plans on them. That's probably why they're a lot more of them.

8. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

When I got my iPad Air 1, I decided that for the first time I was going to get the cellular version, and attach it to my ATT mobile share plan for $10/month. Long story short, I found out I could tether from my iPhone with the mobile share plan and NEVER ended up using the cellular connectivity. In the end it was a huge waste, and I bought the 64GB version, and could have had the 128gb. This time around, the only thing I couldn't decide on was what color to buy. I wound up with the 128gb White|Gold Wifi only, and It works great for me.

Btw, I sell real estate and use my wifi-tethered iPad Air 2 out while showing property all the time, and have never had a problem with connectivity as long as my iPhone has service. Even if my iPhone didn't have service, neither would the iPad if in the same area.

9. Rigby macrumors 601

I mostly use the cellular connection when traveling internationally. I have local data-only SIMs for several countries that I can pop into the iPad, and leave my AT&T SIM in the iPhone (so I can be reached under my own number). As a side effect, I can use the iPad as a hotspot for the phone as well, so no need to use AT&T's expensive international data roaming.

Even in the US the cellular is useful, since you can use it to locate or remote-wipe the iPad in case you lose it (I always have it on the free T-Mobile 200MB plan while in the US).

10. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Double ditto. I have an iPad 2 cellular and wouldn't think of upgrading to any model without cellular. Especially like AT&Ts 3GB for $30 plan which I can purchase whenever I need it.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What really clinched it for me was when I was on a trip out in a place with no Wifi, lost my iPhone, and couldn't use Find My iPhone on my Mac or WiFi iPad because I has been using my phone to tether both. I ended up driving all the way to a Starbucks, used their Wifi, only to discover that I had lost my phone in the parking lot where I had been before (the phone must've fallen out of the car), then sped all the way back to retrieve it.

I was lucky, but if my phone had been stolen, I would've been stuck for days without internet access, let alone having a hard time being in touch with people. If I had a cellular iPad then, it would've sucked to lose my phone, but not been catastrophic.

So, ever since then, I've gotten cellular iPads, and have been happy with my choice.

There's also a lot things I don't like about tethering, like the battery drain and how my phone heats up, and having a cellular iPad alleviates that. Especially since I can tether my laptop to the cellular iPad, which has a bigger battery anyway.

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I get the cellular model only because it has a GPS chip where the wi-fi model doesn't. I've never used or activated the cellular service (I would tether) but often use the GPS. I like the larger GPS screen vs. the iPhone.

13. campyguy macrumors 68030

I've purchased only VZW LTE iPads, and helped a couple of elderly friends buy VZW LTE iPad Minis. I've never considered a wifi-only iPad.

For me, I have two iPads (3rd-Gen and Air), each with an unlimited data plan. I can go just about anywhere and surf or watch without data fetters. The big bonus for me is that I can "tether" at no extra charge, per VZW's TOS. I've never abused the UL data, but being able to tether when on the road or when the power goes out (I also have a laptop) makes it worth it for me.

For my elderly friends (over 80 years old), both were able to ditch their DSL and get on with the 2GB allotment - both cut their internet bill by $30 per month. And they take the Mini with them when they hit the road to have some fun. Both also sold their PCs and used that money to buy their iPad Mini.

14. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've never bought a cellular iPad. I always buy the wifi version and tether from my phone. I never use my monthly data allowance as it is so taking out another plan would be a complete waste.

15. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I took out an iPad mini cellular on contract last year,math at was my first cellular one. I don't regret it, I'm out a fair bit so having a continuous Internet connection is good for recieving emails etc. it has actually reduced the amount I use my iPhone, it's main purpose is to enable text message functionality on my iPad and make the odd call!