Surprise! Apple to refresh iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by whatthef, Jun 29, 2008.

1. whatthef macrumors newbie

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

If apple has not announced i wont put stock in it.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple announce a surprise product update? :rolleyes:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It means pure speculation ...

If the chipset is cheaper by a significant margin and enough to overcome the added R&D costs -- most likely an update to the new 3G chipset.

Otherwise I don't see too much need to switch to the iPhone 3G chipset right now.

Though keeping it in the same case, and increasing the size of the battery marginally might do it for some.

5. idyll macrumors 6502

6. Tonezorz macrumors member

I wish I was more patient. :/ I talked my self into waiting till July 11 to see if there was a refresh/price drop, then buying the 32gig ipod touch. Now after seeing that, I think I should probably wait till the refresh, but I really don't want to :(

7. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Well, it's not exactly rocket science, which is why I assume there was no <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags around the Engadget article title. Apple's put the Touch back in the refurb store after a long hiatus, the students are snapping them up, and retailers are discounting the existing models a few dollars here and there. Macmall's got some sale ending today, though to be fair, they've almost always got a sale that's ending. I'd hold out at least until July 11, when it gets a bit of an 'upgrade'

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

{cough/}BS{/cough}

just more speculations. to me engadget holds no sway in any aspect...

9. Nickelz92 macrumors member

I'd be willing to bet that everyone who has bought an iPod touch is the fan base, and this probably won't change much. The only additional customers I could see jumping on is those replacing last-gen high end iPods.

Even the rumors have no details, so I wouldn't even expect a storage / battery upgrade because the 64 GB flash is too expensive.

10. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

11. drb6 macrumors regular

Why July 11th? Isn't that in the middle of the student discount thingamajig? And that ends Aug/Sept I think.

Since major upgrades are not possible and doesn't really seem necessary (its beautiful and slim) and since 64gb is still too expensive...hopefully it means that Apple will reduce the price a bit in the fall or before Christmas. That would be great.

12. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

iPhone vs iPod Touch

Okay, can someone who own's either of these products help me to distinguish between the two? The iPhone obviously has a built-in phone for voice calls, (and the 3G will have GPS), but is that pretty much it?

See, I have WiFi 98% of the time, so the iPhone $30/month data plan sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm wondering if I can get everything (accept the phone itself) that I want out of the Touch.

When Skype becomes available on the App Store, do you think it will work on the Touch? Is there even a pickup (for voice input) on the Touch? If not, then Skype obviously wouldn't work.

Thanks!

13. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

No.

However some third party developers are working on one

Link

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I've owned both so here's my own views :)

The iPhone is a bit thicker and heftier than the touch. It also has volume buttons on the side, which is a godsend. It has an external speaker, and a built-in microphone. Obviously, it has a cell radio in it. It also has a camera. I personally like the way the iPhone fits in my hand better than the touch; the edges feel less sharp. Software-wise, they're identical, excepting that the iPod doesn't have the Phone, SMS, or Camera apps.

I could go back to using an iPod touch if I needed to for some reason, they're really that alike. The iPhone has some niceties, but nothing that would make me choose it over the iPod if I weren't looking for a cell phone.

15. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

Thank you, good info.

Right now I need a new iPod, and would like at least 16GB. I want the cool software abilities of the iPhone and Touch, so I'm thinking of one of those.

I hate my current cell phone, and would love to just upgrade to the iPhone for the sake on an all-in-one device, but I'm not eligible for the subsidized price, so we're talking the full $499. Not only that, but the data plan is $30/month ($20 more than I'm paying for my current data + text messaging plan). I'm trying to decide if it's really worth the money to get an iPhone3G.

I'm in WiFi range 98% of the time, so I feel like the data plan would be kind of a waste. Sure, on trips and such the GPS would be nice, and for that 2% of the time when I'm not in WiFI range, having the internet would be cool...but is it necessary?

My situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm military and will be shipping out (probably abroad) in 12 months. At at that point, the iPhone no longer be a phone for me, just an iPod Touch with a camera. I could still use it for Skype when I'm in WiFi range, but not for local calls.

Any thoughts, gang?

16. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

^^^ Sounds like the ipod touch is the best route for you to go.

I just got a 32gb for $300 on the boards, but have given that to my sister to wait for the refresh. I am patient enough for it.

17. atthecross macrumors 6502

we just had a refresh a 32gb model. for sure more 'refreshes' will come, but I don't think the form factor will change much for a while.

I think we will see bigger storage capacity and faster processors before any form factor change.

18. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

...which is exactly what I am waiting for.

That and perhaps stronger wi-fi/battery life since they are pushing out ipod touches.

19. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

It means we're all nerds that get way too excited about absolutely nothing. It's all good though!

20. copydeskcat macrumors regular

This has been debated over and over again on this forum, and others. It's time someone made it a sticky.

To get a steer on where the iPod Touch is heading, you only need to look at the recently announced changes to the iPhone 3G - ie. there were hardly any that would make the jump to the iPod Touch. Most of the changes were phone-related features (3G, GPS and a design change to incorporate them).

As people have reasoned out on other message threads, here's the possible directions for the Touch:

Bluetooth: possible, but unlikely.

GPS - possible, but unlikely. iPhone uses a combination of 3G and wi-fi to locate your position with the GPS chipset, so it probably isn't going to make it to the iPod Touch, as it would rely entirely on wi-fi to be of any significant use without dramatically increasing the size of the device.

Design/case change - possible, to bring it in line with the iPhone manufacturing process and standardise shared components. People have complained about how easy it is to scratch the back of the Touch, and many don't like the ugly wi-fi antenna. A case redesign is entirely likely.

Memory upgrade - possible. But as someone has mentioned already, the 32GB memory in the iPod touch is 2 x 16GB flash drives, not 1 x 32GB drive. To go up to 64GB, you would need to put 4 x 16GB drives inside the case. Again, when teamed up with a case re-design to match the iPhone, this might not be such a crazy idea. However, Flash memory is expensive at the moment, and it would significantly increase the price of a Touch if the memory jumped up. A memory increase is probably not going to happen until well into next year. I'd love to be wrong though.

Price drop: this is the most likely route for the Touch in the short-term, to help boost sales. The 8GB Touch will more than likely vanish from the range (again, as we've all said: why buy an 8GP Touch, when you can get an 8GB iPhone for less - even though you'll pay subscription charges for the phone service in the long run?)

Additionally, Apple traditionally offer two capacity sizes in any given model in the range (which makes sense from a marketing perspective), whereas the Touch currently has three capacities in the range.

We've all read that stock of the Touch is being run down at the moment, in line for a re-fresh at some point in the next few months, so we can probably expect some kind of news on the Touch, but don't expect anything over-dramatic in terms of technology.

Lastly, when Apple make a significant announcement about a product (design change, introduction of a new product etc.) they normally do it a major event, like WWDC, MacWorld etc. or they announce a special Apple event. There are no events scheduled, other than the launch of iPhone 3G on 11 July. Price drops, capacity changes and the like usually happen when the store goes down for a few hours and the web community spread the word of any new changes. However, we could see an Apple event announced soon to launch the App Store, which would be an ideal time to announce a new Touch.

I reckon any immediate changes to the Touch will mostly be cosmetic - ie. software (2.0 is on the way), a price-drop, or possibly a memory increase.

I'm betting on a price-drop any time between 11 July and the end of October.

21. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

Great post copydeskcat! Very well thought out. It will be interesting to see how much of this turns out to be right.

22. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

Agreed, excellent post. I agree on most points, though I'd guess it would be at least a month after July 11th that we'll see a Touch update, since Apple has put a lot of eggs in this iPhone basket and doesn't want to cannibalize on possible new iPhone customers :)apple: believes that one you go iPhone, you won't go back).

The question is HOW CHEAP will the refreshed Touch be? I think it's safe to say that with the iPhone available at $199, most people aren't going to be too keen on buying a Touch for more than that. Now, of course the iPhone is subsidized by AT&T which is why it's cheaper, and blah blah blah. But people don't think quite that much about it.

All people will see is that the iPhone (i.e. the "better" device) is cheaper than the iPod Touch, and therefore they won't buy the Touch--EVEN IF they don't buy an iPhone. Why? Because right now the Touch feels like a rip off, and people don't like feeling like they're getting ripped off (even if logically they aren't).

:apple: has really put themselves in a bind here by bending over for AT&T. Mark my words, iPod Touch sales will plummet unless there is a price cut to keep in in line with the subsidized iPhone price. Even if :apple: priced the Touch $100 more than the iPhone (probably fair), they still won't sell as many.

Of course, with the current iPod "education" deal, it will look like Touch sales are great until after Sept. 12th--no doubt a plan not only to reduce inventory but also to keep sales looking nice on all the balance sheets ('cuz why wouldn't you buy a Touch with that deal?). But unless :apple: is willing to cut their normal hefty profit margins on the Touch to keep it priced comparably with the subsidized iPhone, those shelves will be largely untouched.

23. PilotWoo macrumors regular

24. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The front page of this site points out that anyone who upgrades from an old iPhone to a new one can keep their old one as just a media player.

So I'll bet you'll see old iphones on ebay selling for $199 or less. Buy one of those and have a Touch with camera and and mic and speaker. VOIP anyone?

My point? If Apple wants to sell more iPod Touches, those Touches will be competing directly with the old iPhone at $199. THAT ought to bring down the price and bring up the features, because the top of the non-phone ipod heap is now the old iPhones!

25. dark-saito macrumors regular

Excuse the newb but...

IF Apple planned to make a major redesign of the iPod Touch- Why would they release an iPhone that looks overall the same? the only thing I see changing for the Touch is the back (I think this was pointed out earlier in the thread) and the bigger memory is unlikely...

So maybe just a pricedrop, and the steel back but otherwise I would say not to expect much from apple about a MAJOR redo of the Touch till about June-July of next year.