Surprise Feature: So This May Be Why the Camera Protrudes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

2. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

3. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

So can someone confirm that the protruding ring is designed for such a bayonet mounting system?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It is not for bayonet mounting. It is smooth.

It COULD be used for alignment. And IF it is steel, like would make sense, it is ferrous, thus magnets will adhere to it. So there is certainly room for third party accessories.

I wouldn't count on Apple releasing anything.

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

While seemingly feasible, if the lens mount is expected to attach magnetically, I fear the magnetic forces could potentially interfere with the optical image stabilization mechanics on the 6+ camera. A teardown by iFixit's revealed the cam uses an electromagnetic system for guidance to adjust the lens assembly during use/movement; this is similar to the stabilization system found in CD/DVD readers.

The regular 6 is still up in the air tho, and the attachable lens system would be no less an innovative idea. Sent from my iPhone.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Hmm maybe only lens for the regular 6. Another benefit to the 4.7 iphablet. Faster, easier to hold, direct pixel scaling, less likely to shatter... and now maybe only one likely to have lens attachments.

7. erzhik macrumors 6502

The protruding lens is because of the OIS on plus and for aesthetics on 6, so they look equal. It has been covered before by multiple bloggers and pretty much every phone with an OIS has a protruding lens. Look at the entire Lumia line up.

8. utsava macrumors regular

Somebody try to stick a magnet to it already!

9. cdesigns macrumors 6502

I like the camera protruding like that, when you put a cover on the 5s sometimes the flash bounces on the cover and you get washout pictures because the flash hit the cover and then bounces in the camera lens. But on the iPhone 6 with the lens sticking out will reduce this.

10. r-m macrumors 6502a

I do remember seeing this patent, and wondered if that's why it was sticking out.
    As someone else mentioned, it looks smooth and not bayonet-able, so would need to be magnetic if anything.

My thoughts are that it's just to get us used to a protruding lens, for the 6S or 7 when they actually implement this bayonet system.
    Just like Touch ID was to get us used to the whole fingerprint thing, and over the privacy issue, before they rolled out Apply Pay. Otherwise, Apple Pay would be overshadowed by privacy concerns right now.

11. techn9ne macrumors member

Huh, sounds cool to me. Personally I'd rather just buy a camera and attach lenses to that but I guess there's a market for this type of stuff. I know some people love using their smartphones for their main camera and this will at least allow them some customizability besides apps.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

NOT Magnetic :(

13. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Protruding on the iPhone 6 for aesthetics? I can see it now, next year Apple will make the 4.7'' have OIS too. Or the year after if they really want to make us consumers wait.