Surprise: Kaby Lake used over Sky Lake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whiteshadoww, Oct 27, 2016.

1. whiteshadoww, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

Anyone think this could be a headline at 10:01 AM Cupertino time? Any chance Apple skips over Sky Lake and sells the MacBook Pro with Kaby Lake?

2. leman macrumors 604

Not unless they have convinced Intel to give them access to hardware that is getting released three to for months later for everyone else ;) Provided Intel even has that hardware available. Which is VERY unlikely.

3. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I hate you. I read this as you had insider information that Kaby Lake was confirmed to be used over Sky Lake lol

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

I guess they could put the low powered Kaby Lake processor available now in the machines. But, would you buy a system with 40% less power than the current units?

More likely there will be a refresh next summer with the high performance Kaby Lake processors. At that time I will upgrade. By then there will be more USB-C peripherals around, and any issues with the new form factor should be resolved, or at least understood.

5. whiteshadoww thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry! Didn't mean to mislead. I tried to change the headline but didn't see how.

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Did I understand correctly that the upcoming Kaby Lake quad-core CPU's will not have Iris Pro Graphics included? So if we're interested in a rMBP 15" base model, with integrated graphics only, then the Skylake models to be announced today would be the better choice since they include the Iris Pro 580 chipset?

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Exactly. Apple would have to pay Intel a LOT of money to do something like this, otherwise, what incentive does Intel have not to sell the chip to the dozens of their other customers?

KabyLake is simply not ready yet. It's not even worth wasting any brain waves on this subject.

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

Small correction. The higher power Kaby Lake chips are not ready for production use yet. The lower powered units have been out for a while.

This article has a picture of a chart that shows the time frames for the various SKU's availability. The MacBook Pro 15 likely uses the Kaby Lake-H quad-core variant.

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-q3-2016-cannonlake-2017/

Notice that CannonLake lower power units ship in 2017.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Correct. Sorry for not clarifying in my post. My brain is sharply focused on the high-end 15" MBP right now! LOL. ;)

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

Mine too. I don't really have any interest in the lower power units. Just once I wish they would bring out the higher powered units first. But, I know how it works in the chip business, and that is the way to going bankrupt.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    FWIW, I would not be too surprised to see a larger MacBook (non pro) with a KabyLake processor as a replacement for the Air.

11. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

I'd be shocked if Apple jumps to Kaby Lake in these new models. I would love to see it though. That and the return of matte screens, I'll become a Mac laptop fan again.