Surprise! Sony delays PS3 motion controller

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Jan 20, 2010.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

"We have decided to release the Motion Controller in fall 2010 when we will be able to offer an exciting and varied line-up of software titles that will deliver the new entertainment experience to PS3 users," says Kaz Hirai, boss of Sony Computer Entertainment.

"We will continue to work to have a comprehensive portfolio of attractive and innovative games for the Motion Controller, not only from SCE Worldwide Studios but also from the third party developers and publishers, whom we have been working closely with. We look forward to soon unveiling the exciting software line-up that further expand and define the PS3 platform as the ultimate entertainment system for the home".

http://kotaku.com/5452456/sony-delays-launch-of-ps3-motion-controller?skyline=true&s=i

It’s not like it’s a surprise considering Sony delays everything.

AP says they’re going to release it simultaneously in North America, Japan and Europe. Somehow, I seriously doubt that. No pricing announced, but you’re going to need to pony up another $39.99 for the PlayStation Eye to use it.

Attached Files:

2. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Sony has been good on the delays recently and for something like this im glad sony delayed this. It has a chance now to have a biger linup of games for the holiday season plus it will compete with Natal. I think this is a good move actaully for Sony.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I would be very surprised if the Eye didn't ship with it. I mean, that would be like Nintendo selling the Wii, but you have to buy the sensor bar extra. They won't do that. It will almost certainly be sold as a full kit. That is a bit of a downside though, since it WILL raise the price of the kit.

And for the record, I'm also glad they delayed this. They have said next to nothing about this, and have only shown some rough demos. They need some more time to get some titles and stuff ready. Same goes for Natal. These things can't launch with just a couple games or whatever. They need to have a pretty decent sized library around launch.

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

agreed this gives them time for Developers to implement it into games and time to show it off before E3 cause there really hasnt been a big public display of it working with real games. the only one so far has been TGS but it wasnt really publicy shown.

5. MRU Suspended

MRU

So its design hasn't really changed since the prototypes, it still looks like a vibrating sex toy.

Feel sorry for Capcom. I'd be surprised if they didn't delay RE5 special edition now.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

[​IMG]

HOW COULD THEY?!

*yawn* I hope motion control goes the way of Beta, ****ing dead.

7. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I’m sure they’re going to sell the wand separately simply because most people will want at least two and many people already have the PS Eye. They’ll probably offer a starter kit that includes the PS Eye also for more.

The big question will be is this worth it? The EyeToy and PS Eye were never worth it unless you wanted to take pictures of yourself in non-eye specific games. The eye-specific games were really nothing more than tech demos. I haven’t used EyePet, but I have all the other PS Eye PSN games. They’re pretty bad.

I’m afraid this will be along the same lines as both of those accessories.

8. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I guess I misunderstood you earlier. My bad. Yes, that was what I was suggesting. There will be a "Wand Only" version, if you already have the camera. But, if you don't, they'll sell another pack with it included.

What will be interesting is if the wand will work with cameras OTHER than the Eye. My Logitech 9000 works just fine for games that would use it. It shows up just like normal. When Burnout Paradise wanted to take my picture to use for my "License" in the game, the 9000 just snapped away. Given that all the motion tracking will actually be done by the PS3 itself, I'm wondering if my 9000 will work with this.
    Well, history is NOT on either Microsoft's or their side. Very rarely does a peripheral come out years into the consoles lifespan and ever amount to anything. The Rock Band/Guitar Hero guitars are one thing, because they are built SPECIFICALLY for a game. But, an accessory motion tracking wand, not built for a specific title, is almost surely doomed to failure. Unless they can both create some really new and interesting uses, these things will be very short lived. Not that it would bother me. As is now, without seeing these things first-hand, I much prefer just using a normal controller.

9. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I really couldn't care less.

They just all want a piece of the casual-waggle-pie that Nintendo's been feasting on for the past couple of years. It's really not my thing. When my friend got a Wii I played Mario Galaxy at his house, to see if the Wii would be interesting for me. I ended up buying a SNES/Mario World on Ebay, cause it just made me want to play Mario badly, but without the waggle. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind if they just divided up the market according to their strengths. Let Nintendo do the cute/casual stuff, let MS do their Halos, Forzas and Gears of Wars, and let Sony pump out some more Uncharteds, Ratchet/Clanks, Gran Turismos and Little Big Planets. :)

But I guess since they all just HAVE to go wiggly-waggly now, the least I can ask is for that to not compromise the quality and output level of "normal" games. :mad:

10. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

No thanks, I got enough waggling on my Wii in Christmas 2006. And maybe they can delay it so long as to make one that doesn't look terribad.