Surprise Surprise!!!! .. BTO Preference not available!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stonesrubber, Oct 30, 2013.

1. stonesrubber macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I have been looking to pick up the Top of the line 15' with the Gt 750M. I however see so reason why I will need (now or in the next life) 512GB of flash store space. I am more than happy with the 256. Just when i thought that the processor upgrade will be offset by choosing a smaller flashstorage, the top of the line does not have this option. It locks you on to 512 or 1 TB.

1. What are my options ? Can I write to apple/call them up and ask them to customize the top of the line and give me the 256 ? (If yes, i'd greatly appreciate contact details in the US of how to reach them and have this done)

2.Is there some other non-apple store that will do this specific configuration for me ?

Thanks a ton guys.

2. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Not to try and convince you otherwise. But considering your machine is so 'high spec' already, the larger ssd does also have performance benefits (100MB/s odd).

3. stonesrubber thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Bob! .. I am kinda new to the idea that a larger SSD provides more performance benefits. Can you explain to me how that works ? And iF I understand you correctly, a 256 will be slower than a 512 which will be slower than a 1 tb ?
    I thought the only difference in them was storage and nothing else.

Thanks and Regards

4. monokitty macrumors regular

You can't get the 750M with a 256GB SSD. Nothing you can do.

5. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Yes this is not universal standard by any means. But in these particular models the 512 and 1TB are both a bit faster each jump.

Seeing the reply above it looks like you'll be getting the 512 anyway.

6. NewYorkRanger, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Apple doesn't let you downgrade from base specs, nor should they. It's why they are called base specs.

My advise - suck it up. Apple has done you a favor and given you more resale value and a faster hard drive, by almost 200 MB/s.

Worst case - try selling the 512 GB SSD it comes with for cash on eBay and buy a 256 GB when you do. (Edit: you may need to wait until a 3rd party comes out with a 256 GB SSD that is supported as the motherboard has a proprietary adapter - or find someone here with a 13" willing to swap + cash).