Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What prompted you to return any of your iPhones?

• Buyer’s remorse / Caught up in the moment

Votes: 22 9.4%
  • Heavier than expected

• Size was too big or too small

• Liked your old iPhone better

• Technical problem or frustration so you went back to your old phone

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Something else that was unexpected or annoying

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Prefer a different color

• Never have returned an iPhone

Votes: 137 58.8%

• Total voters

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
So I have to admit, I’ve been surprised by the number of posts where people return their iPhone. To be honest, I have never returned an iPhone and actually I never even thought about it. I’m a big geek who likes to read up on everything before I buy it so I’ve never been so surprised by anything on my new iPhone that would make me want to return it.

I thought it would be an interesting poll to see what are the major causes of returns. You can select all that apply to you. This can be a return of any iPhone not just the new one.

gjamesm48

Suspended
Sep 17, 2022
So I have to admit, I’ve been surprised by the number of posts where people return their iPhone. To be honest, I have never returned an iPhone and actually I never even thought about it. I’m a big geek who likes to read up on everything before I buy it so I’ve never been so surprised by anything on my new iPhone that would make me want to return it.

I thought it would be an interesting poll to see what are the major causes of returns. You can select all that apply to you. This can be a return of any iPhone not just the new one.
Don't believe them. They are just looking for attention.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I chose “Something else that was unexpected or annoying.”

If I can get my hands on the Pro Max model I want, I’ll be returning my Pro, mainly due to much lower than expected battery life. I think the issue is iOS 16, and Apple will fix it eventually, but I don’t want to keep a phone that this has this poor of battery life if Apple doesn’t fix it - especially considering battery life only gets worse with time.

It makes no sense that battery life is worse on the 14 Pro even with AOD turned off. Compared to the 13 Pro, the 14 Pro has a more efficient chip, more efficient 5G modem, and a bigger battery, yet it’s getting 3-4 hours less of screen on time than my 13 Pro did on iOS 15. Apple even claims it’s supposed to get the same or longer battery life compared to the 13 Pro.

I really like how much more ergonomic the Pro size is considering I use my phone mostly one-handed, but battery life has become more of a priority for me. I think it’ll be nice to have a bigger screen again too.

Reactions: koigirl

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
When I worked at an apple store I didn’t see very many returns because it wasn’t liked as a phone, color Was by far the most popular reason for a return, capacity second but a distant second.
my favorite return was this engineer that said the iPhone was a waste because without an App Store account the phone was a paper weight and demanded a refund.
we were all laughing inside because anyone Working at a store is doesn’t really care youre returning something.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
When I worked at an apple store I didn’t see very many returns because it wasn’t liked as a phone, color Was by far the most popular reason for a return, capacity second but a distant second.
my favorite return was this engineer that said the iPhone was a waste because without an App Store account the phone was a paper weight and demanded a refund.
we were all laughing inside because anyone Working at a store is doesn’t really care youre returning something.
I knew I was missing something! Color! I updated the poll

Reactions: bruinsrme

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

It's the same every year. On a forum like this, people tend to be both extremely enthusiastic about new devices and extremely picky/OCD about them. This combination frequently leads to disappointment.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
It's the same every year. A lot of people get caught up in the forum hype and fever and order a new phone. And when it arrives, many are disappointed that reality of what they already knew before the order, is still reality.
I pointed this out in another thread & got called a "condescing ******." I understand that people tend to get upset when they're faced with reality, but I really don't see why this is so hard for people to admit.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I have never returned an iPhone back to the retailer for any reason. Always kept what I bought.

Have owned:

iPhone 3G (my first love, bought on a Best Buy promo. Never looked back)
iPhone 4 (2 year contract purchase)
iPhone 5 (kept this for like 3 years, would have been longer, but battery was pushing screen out)
iPhone 6s
iPhone 7 Plus
(used the iPhone Upgrade Program for the first... and last... time)
iPhone X (would have kept this longer, but there was a chip on the back glass and a dot of dead pixels on the screen after dropping a few times. Apple gave me full trade in value at the time toward iPhone 11 Pro)
iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 14 Pro Max
(current. Still getting used to the size, but no intention to return)

Have bought these for collection:
iPhone 6s (locked to Straight Talk, but wanted one for the last one with headphone jack)
iPhone 4s x3 (2 locked to Virgin Mobile, cheap Radio Shack sell offs, plus one sealed from Rogers that I got unlocked, all bought brand new)
iPhone 11 (locked to SimpleMobile and thought I could get it unlocked after 60 days, but it was under old TFW which required a whole 12 months on service to unlock. Ended up trading this in for AT&T credit toward iPhone 14 Pro Max)

Reactions: fatTribble

Hatshepsut

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
I pointed this out in another thread & got called a "condescing ******." I understand that people tend to get upset when they're faced with reality, but I really don't see why this is so hard for people to admi

No idea why you're so judgey re: iphone returns. Apple has a 14 day return window for a reason--you can do all the research you want, and play with the phones in the store, all of which I did, but the real-world experience of using something for several days is obviously the real test. Consumers return stuff all the time for this very reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I returned an iPhone 6+ so I could buy the unlocked one that came out shortly after I made my purchase. Besides than that I’ve never made another return.

Reactions: brucemr

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Buyers remorse is a real thing, most people think they are bound to their devices but you do have a grace period to return devices, some carriers charge you a restocking fee for swapping colors.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK

drives me nuts - the front page of the forum is borderline unbearable this time of year.

Apple return policy of course 'makes this okay', though over time they may choose to tighten up on returns over ESG considerations when they've eventually optimised everything else they can do environmentally. I'd be interested in what proportion of RRP paid is made up of covering the cost of returns - 0.1%, 1%, 5% - who knows?

They must be doing continual analysis of how much more revenue they make by offering such a generous safety net.

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
I view them as attention seeking behaviors.
How many pay $1000 plus to troll?

of course that's nothing compared to the utter tools who'll buy a $1000 device and drop it or take a mallet to it to garner attention.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
No idea why you're so judgey re: iphone returns. Apple has a 14 day return window for a reason--you can do all the research you want, and play with the phones in the store, all of which I did, but the real-world experience of using something for several days is obviously the real test. Consumers return stuff all the time for this very reason.
Just my two cents. This is not an absolute where anyone who has ever returned an iPhone is somehow wrong or a bad person. I certainly don’t believe that at all! From what you said, you did research, you went to the store to interact with the iPhones in person and you were being rational about the purchase. To me you did everything possible to learn as much as you could prior to purchase.

Not everyone does what you did. This is what surprised me. Before I got my first Max I looked at the dimensions online and made a cardboard cutout to see how it would fit in my jeans and shorts because I was concerned about the size. Not a great test, but meh, I tried.

By the time I place my order I’ve never been on the fence. I’ve read a lot of posts where people were really unsure about an aspect of the new iPhone yet they pre-ordered to be the first in line to get it. There was no opportunity to see the iPhone in person to look at colors, size, weight, camera bump, etc. This confuses me why anyone would rush to buy something they were unsure about then rely on an easy return policy. I’ve seen posts where people returned their iPhone then regretted the return so they bought another one. I guess I’m lucky that I’ve never been that undecided about an iPhone.

To be completely fair, I have a goal to avoid returns on everything I buy, not just iPhones. I definitely realize not everyone has that goal. I guess I just feel for people who are trying to get one and can’t.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I returned my 14 pro because I was coming from the mini, and kept pulling it out of the box and comparing the two. When I did, the 14 pro felt like a brick, and after nearly a week, I brought it back. Within a couple days I really missed that extra screen size, and the features I was most excited about (macro photography, no notch). I ordered another one, set it up Friday, boxed up the mini and put it up for sale, and haven’t looked back. I just had to stop comparing and whining over weight and just let myself get used to it. Haven’t given it any more thought since.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I returned my 14 pro because I was coming from the mini, and kept pulling it out of the box and comparing the two. When I did, the 14 pro felt like a brick, and after nearly a week, I brought it back. Within a couple days I really missed that extra screen size, and the features I was most excited about (macro photography, no notch). I ordered another one, set it up Friday, boxed up the mini and put it up for sale, and haven’t looked back. I just had to stop comparing and whining over weight and just let myself get used to it. Haven’t given it any more thought since.
I’m really glad you found something that works for you! I tend to think that the next iPhone is the trend for Apple so it’s not a matter of if I get used to it but when.

Sometimes I suspect people skip an iPhone or return it as a protest to Apple rather than just not wanting it. I could be wrong.

Reactions: lkalliance

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m really glad you found something that works for you! I tend to think that the next iPhone is the trend for Apple so it’s not a matter of if I get used to it but when.

Sometimes I suspect people skip an iPhone or return it as a protest to Apple rather than just not wanting it. I could be wrong.

Well, I’m not one of those who really analyzes all the upgrades to death. I’ve upgraded every year, but mainly because there has always been some sort of improvement that appealed to me, and I almost always have someone who wants my year-old phones. I’ve only ever returned ONE release day phone before now, and that was the 11 pro max. Now I did have an early 2020 Covid phone nightmare, which I think was out of sheer boredom, but beyond that, I’m typically pretty satisfied with every years’ upgrade. I just think making that big jump in weight/size, and constantly comparing and second-guessing was messing with me for sure.

I’m definitely happy with my decision now that I’ve made it as complicated as possible. ;-p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.