Surprised by 42mm

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by peteyyt, Apr 11, 2015.

1. peteyyt macrumors member

Glad to report I had a great try on appointment at the Apple Store. I was on the fence for quite a while about 38mm vs 42mm. I'm a male, but tend to where understated watches and prefer their look and feel (current daily driver is a large Cartier Tank, which is pretty small compared to most fashion-type watches).

Based on my smaller wrists and enjoyment of my current watch, I was going to go with the 38mm stainless steel. I wound up convincing myself against it when the final bands were released, and the leather loop was limited to the larger size.

I went with the 42 at launch, thinking I might regret it. I tried it on the other day, and am happy to report it's wonderful. Definitely nicely sized (although I thought the 38mm still looked and fit nicely). I was a little surprised at how light it felt compared to other stainless steel watches I've owned, but the build quality was quite exceptional. I actually walked in with pretty modest expectations, and left feeling very impressed. I wound up liking the Milanese loop much more than I thought I would. It was sturdy, had an interesting texture and feel. I found myself constantly running my finger over the threading. I didn't like the leather loop as much as I thought I would because the leather itself feels strange and slightly plasticky, but I do love the look of it, especially in brown.

So, for guys used to smaller watches or with smaller wrists, or who are on the fence because of band selection, I don't necessarily think you can go wrong with either!

Attached Files:

2. peteyyt thread starter macrumors member

This is the Milanese Loop on my wrist.

Attached Files:

3. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I'm also happy I went with 42mm after my try on yesterday. I was also surprised how much I like the Milanese Loop!

4. matt550 macrumors 6502

I'm very pleased I went with the 42mm. I thought my wrists were small, turns out they are not, haha.

5. Mr.C, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here. I was always leaning towards the 42mm and that is what I have preordered. When I went for my try out appointment I tried both sizes and also compared them to the original Pebble which I have now and I was happy I made the choice to preorder the 42mm.

6. RobobVT macrumors member

RobobVT

I have the pebble watch so i figured the 42mm would be good, even though my wrists are on the smaller side as well.

7. ShawnTXDFW macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

I to was on the fence between both sizes. Glad I went with the 42mm though. Black Stainless Steel for me. The milanese looks nice, but I haven't had the chance to try that one just yet. I am looking to buy at least another two to three bands. I need the sport band. The one thing I was concerned about with the Black SS was what other bands will go with it? I believe Black pretty much goes with everything, and I'm hoping it looks nice with maybe a milanese and even the sport band. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

-Shawn