Surprised by the number of 6+ buyers compared to Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theanimala, Sep 14, 2014.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

I have to admit, I am surprised to see so many Apple fans wanting the iPhone 6+. I have lot of friends who are Android fans and will only use Android phones, yet I only know 2 of them that have huge phones (Note 3's). All of my other friends even made fun of people who wanted anything larger than a Galaxy S5.

I am not trying to start a flame war, and I'm sure there are many people that will think I am. I seriously am just very surprised by the high number of people who want a huge phone when only having a 4" screen in the past. I will be the first to admit I purchased the 4.7" iPhone 6, but that is because my work phone is a Galaxy S4 and I don't feel the need for anything larger than that. For all I know next year I may be buying myself the 5.5" iPhone 6S?!?

Good luck to all new iPhone 6 and 6+ owners, I'm sure we will love them come this Friday...

2. WhiteHawk macrumors regular

Is there any confirmation of the Plus being the most popular or are people just thinking that because it's selling out quicker? Do people know if there was a equal amount of each size available? Could be that there was less of the Plus than the standard 6.

Anyway, I ordered the standard 6, no way Im buying a phablet ever, I'm not over 7 foot tall with huge chest pockets on my shirts.

Good luck to you too, may the couriers be ever in your favour, and the hardware tried and true. :)

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

This is something that I also have thought about. Whether or not there really are that many people buying the 6 plus or not, there definitely at least seems to be a lot of people who all of a sudden are accepting of the huge screen size after putting it down on Android phones for so many years.

I will include myself in that category for now as well, which is possibly why I've thought about this so much, because of the hypocritical nature of it all. That being said, I don't think I will actually like the 6 plus once I hold it in my hand, but I withhold judgement until that day.

I think it comes down to a couple of things, at least in my mind. Part of it is literally the device itself and how it works with the OS. For instance, playing with my roommates Nokia Icon was the first time when I said, "hey maybe the screen size really isn't that bad." Mind you I believe it's a 5" screen, not a 5.5" screen, but I think the way the OS flows with the screen size made it manageable to me in a way that a galaxy phone never did. It definitely would take some getting used to, but it actually kind of made me want a bigger phone for the first time.

And not just the OS, but also the design and materials used. His Nokia actually felt good in the hand. When playing with friends samsungs, it felt more like a cheap piece of plastic and it didn't feel right in my hand.

So those are the thoughts that went through my mind initially, but of course I also believe that there are people out there who think it's okay now that Apple has done it too. And I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either. People really love their Apple Products. I know I do. And I wasn't going to switch to Android even if this next iPhone went back to 3.5" (I current have a 4s and while I really do love the screen size, it was starting to feel small and cramped for the things I've started using it for).

Maybe this is all me trying to cope with the fact that I really am unfairly biased towards the iPhone and Apple products even though I try and keep an unbiased view of technology (after all, nothing spurs innovation quite like competition), but I think that the screen size debate has a lot of different levels that even people putting screen size down or supporting the bigger screen size don't realize.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Many people are unfortunately opting for the 5.5 just for the better specs. I was surprised by the number of members here who were originally considering the 4.7 only to spring for the 5.5 once they learned of the better specs.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That's another thing, and I don't think that that is a bad reason either. The 6 plus definitely offers some features that people probably really wanted/expected on the 6. OIS might be a huge reason people choose the 6 plus. Also, battery life is an ever growing concern these days, especially now with ApplePay, who wants their phone to die in the middle of a transaction?! Seriously though, I think Apple want people to buy the 6 plus over the 6 and are marketing it thusly, just like they dropped the 32 GB but kept the 16 GB. They aren't stupid. They know 16 GB is becoming less and less useful in a phone as the days go by. By keeping that option and dropping the 32 GB, it's just another way of encouraging people to spend that extra $100.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not sure if I quite understand that. Both the 6 and 6+ are available in all three storage capacities and the 64 GB iPhone 6 is the same price as the 32 GB model of the past few years.

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Don't go by the polls on MR as a reflection of the pulse of the general iPhone buying crowd. We are nerds. :p

8. joekun macrumors regular

Though I've never posted about large screen phones anywhere, I have seen actors holding them up to their heads on TV and said "that is ridiculously huge." But as I began to consider over the last few months whether I would want a 4.7" or 5.5" phone I thought that I really don't use it to make phone calls very much (and honestly I don't care what people think of how I look holding my phone). I've also never owned an iPad, and the more I thought about it the more I wanted a large screen. Looking forward to Friday!

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Sorry, that post got a little convoluted. My point was that I think that people wanting the 6+ for features that only it has is part of Apple's marketing plan. And from that I just was saying that I think dropping the 32 GB option as opposed to the 16GB option is also all marketing because I believe that for more and more people, 16 GB isn't a sufficient amount of space and it forces people to spend 100 dollars more for the 64 rather than if they dropped the 16 and gave 32GB as the base option, that would be sufficient for more people.

Does that make sense? It's a little late and all my thoughts are kind of bluefin together now. :p

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'm one of them. The increase in battery life (particularly in standby) really is pretty compelling and battery is my biggest gripe with my 5s. Thing is if you want new hardware, Apple doesn't really offer you much of a choice. It's either big or bigger. Since I won't be able to get the size and form factor I want either way, figured I might as well take a chance with bigger and if it doesn't work out, then move to big. If that still doesn't work out, I'll probably get myself a Verizon iPhone 5s 64GB. :p

11. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

I almost went with a Galaxy instead of my 5S upgrade last year, purely because of the beautiful screen and longer battery life. It's pretty obvious that I was always going to get the 6+ this year. I must admit that I was a bit scared about actually buying such a large device, so printed out the scale images of both sixes and glued them to some thick cardboard. That let me try them out in various pockets.

What I really don't get is all the attitude about he said she said, and putting down others' size and phone choice. Aren't we all here to enjoy our phones?

12. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I opted for the 6+ because I'd like to consolidate my devices as much as possible. If I could, I'd be on my iPad Air all day for browsing, texting, email, Pages, and occasional gaming...now with the huge screen size of the plus, I don't feel like I'm compromising as much...

Truth be told I never considered anything bigger than a 5" phone, knowing full well that other phone makers had them out there for quite awhile now.

The thing is, every time I saw a galaxy note, I didn't give much thought to the device. Was never compelled to switch over to Android. But now that Apple has a phablet, I felt I needed one. Why? Because for me it was all about the Apple ecosystem. I never considered a phablet before because I never liked Android...would rather have a smaller phone than switch over to Android so I could get a phablet.

To answer the OP's question is obvious: Those buying the 6+ probably always wanted bigger screens, but Apple didn't offer one until now. And Android was NOT an option