Surprised there's no titanium offering.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Titanium would be a nice way to add next level pricing above steel, for those who want something even more unique than steel, but whose pockets aren't deep enough for gold (AKA those with more taste than money).

Many high end watch brands consider Ti to be a staple material. It has a high tech pedigree that seems perfectly suited to the Apple Watch.

I could see Apple offering it at a premium on a titanium link band only, for say, $1500. Tooling Ti is a chore, so the price would reflect that.

Anyone else think a titanium watch would have / could be cool?

Reactions: echo4sierra

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Yep, totally could be cool. IMO a titanium watch body would be pretty awesome.

Comment

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But if it's the same color as stainless steel, it defeats the ability to show off/show their wealth. Same thing with platinum. Any higher end models would have to look different. Perhaps titanium in different colors?

Comment

nanocustoms

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
316 and 6AL4V(Grade 5 Titanium) cut and tool about the same. They both require about 150-200 SFM cutting speed with a low feed per tooth.

When I bill my customers for Titanium over Stainless there's about a 10-15% premium depending on what Billets are available.

I think titanium would be a nice differentiator, especially with the nicer tan hue of the titanium.

Comment

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I own several titanium traditional dive watches and have found that titanium has some pros as well as some cons.

The pros are the light weight and, depending on how the designers choose to finish it, a neat matte grey color.

But when titanium is finished in the media-blasted matte grey finish (most common titanium finish for watches) it is much more prone to scratching in my opinion and it is also much more difficult to refinish.

Brushed finish or polished stainless steel is much easier to maintain in my opinion. I can use a dremel tool w/ polishing compound or a polishing cloth to remove most daily wear surface scratches from stainless steel. And a green Scotch Brite pad or a fiberglass pen can be used to quickly restore any brushed finish pattern.

I certainly wouldn't pay any extra for a titanium Apple Watch.

Comment

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I have read that we may see a Platinum option later down the road. A Ti version would be great as well. I would love to see a burnt titanium option that shows off some of those blue and purple hues like on some high end exhaust systems for cars. Would also love a Carbon version as well. Perhaps even a tungsten version.

Last edited:
Comment

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
But if it's the same color as stainless steel, it defeats the ability to show off/show their wealth. Same thing with platinum. Any higher end models would have to look different. Perhaps titanium in different colors?
Titanium has a bit more of a tan-gray hue whereas stainless is more silver. It's subtle, but those who care will notice the difference.

Reactions: echo4sierra
Comment

echo4sierra

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
Gnarnia
Titanium has a bit more of a tan-gray hue whereas stainless is more silver. It's subtle, but those who care will notice the difference.
True. My fridge is Ti and darker than the stainless appliances. Hard to find a Ti dishwasher!

Comment