Surround error

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Layway, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Layway macrumors newbie

Layway

Hi
    Using Apple TV 4 and has a HDMI switch connected, from that switch the HDMI cable goes out to the TV and sound digital toslink goes from the switch to my surround receiver. The sound is playing out fine in the 2 front speakers and the front middle speaker, but NOT my 2 rear speakers!!!

Anyone with a solution or an answer why this is?
    Thnaks.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

3. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

You may try going into the settings and set the audio to Surround instead of Auto. There is an issue that many of us are experiencing where the ATV will not send surround info if it is set to Auto.

I just got a new receiver (Yamaha RX-A3050) and it only receives PCM from the ATV if the ATV audio is set to Auto. If I set it to Surround, then the receiver gets the digital surround signals. Worth a try.

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

On Yamaha's I've found they are touchy and always set everything to DD instead of PCM.

5. zinned macrumors regular

Getting PCM is not a bad thing per se.

The thing is that one gets PCM 7.1 for every surround signal when the setting is "Auto", no matter if it's 5.1/6.1/7.1 etc.

When using the "Dolby Surround" setting you get 5.1 no matter what you feed the ATV4 with.

6. Layway thread starter macrumors newbie

Layway

I tried both auto and surround same result.
    1) Is the HDMI switch ok, and should be able to "export" surround to Apple TV?
    2) Is it a bug from Apples side, and maybe will be fixed via next software update?
    3) The movies etc i´m trying to play, do they really have surround "in them" Tried different TV shows on Netflix and HBO, and also Captain America through Netflix.

Just think it is weird my center speaker is playing, would think if it were just stereo that only my two front speakers would play and not the middle. It seems somewhere in between this i have now!