Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
I’ve got the 2019 iPad Pro 12.9, I really love to watch movies on it. The quality is amazing and the sound using VLC player isn’t bad either.

But I was curious, I have the Sony 9.1 channel surround headphones. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-hw700ds

If I got a USB C to HDMI cable, plugged the HDMI into the Sony receiver would it out put sound? Then I could watch movies on my iPad using that.

Or would the screen go black thinking it’s outputting to a TV?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
into the Sony receiver

Looking at the description which you posted I'm a little unclear about what the receiver is. It ships with the headphones? Could you describe its ports? How are you using it now?

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Yes, came with the headphones. You plug an HDMI out from a Blu-ray player into and HDMI I’m in the receiver. Then and HDMI our from the receiver to a TV.

Was thinking maybe I could just plug the HDMI out from the iPad to the receiver and could use the headphones viewing video on the iPad.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If I got a USB C to HDMI cable,

Sounds as if it should work. Be sure to get a good cable that you can return if it doesn't work. A cheap cable might work, but if it doesn't you don't know if the cable was the problem.

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks guys, I’m gonna give it a try ☺️ Even if it don’t work, still can use the cable to watch things on my tv

apolkowski

macrumors regular
I just tried it. I got soung in the headphones, but blue screen on tv. Maybe it has something to do with DRM. HDMI to TV directly works fine. You can consider my other set-up. I use digital out (optical) from TV to SONY receiver and it gives multichannel sount thru headphones.
[automerge]1572732074[/automerge]
BTW I only get 1080p from iPad pro 12.9 even while playing 4K movies in AppleTV app.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe it has something to do with DRM. HDMI to TV directly works fine

So Blu-Ray Player HDMI > Sony Headphone receiver HDMI > TV works and
iPad usb-3 HDMI > Sony Receiver > TV doesn't?

What happens if you connect the iPad HDMI output directly to the TV's HDMI input?

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
I just want it from the USB-C on the iPad to the receiver of the headphone. Not connected to a TV or anything. Wanna use the headphones watching movies on the ipad

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What happens if you connect the iPad HDMI output directly to the TV's HDMI input?

This is a diagnostic test. If this doesn't work then routing through your headphone receiver likely won't either.

apolkowski

macrumors regular
So Blu-Ray Player HDMI > Sony Headphone receiver HDMI > TV works and
iPad usb-3 HDMI > Sony Receiver > TV doesn't?

As i wrote in my earlier post iPad -> TV works fine, but in my case it was limited to 1080p.
I was not able to have "sound only option" becasue after connecting HDMI to iPad when you play movie ipad displays message as on the below photo. So after connecting HDMI to SONY headphones receiver you will hear the sound but you will only see a warning message on iPads display.

Attachments

• IMG_0179(2).PNG
    IMG_0179(2).PNG
    87.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 182

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, came with the headphones. You plug an HDMI out from a Blu-ray player into and HDMI I’m in the receiver. Then and HDMI our from the receiver to a TV.
HDMI to TV directly works fine.

You meant iPAD HDMI direct to the TV works fine?

A fairly recent article in PC mag makes 2 points about why you need to use the Apple lightning HDMI connector:

1. 3rd party adapters generally won't work with streaming services because of HDCP
2. The HDMI adapter needs to be powered
3. Limited to 1080p

But, of course, the iPad is USB-C which makes it more complicated.

Since iPad > TV works fine and Blu-Ray Player > Receiver > TV works fine it looks as if it is either a cable or a receiver issue.

By any chance does your Blu-Ray player have an HDMI in input? That would be another datapoint if the iPad would play through the Blu-Ray player.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.