Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
My dad has been talking about buying a HDTV for years. Finally he decided to get one, so I did the research for him and ended up finding one for a friggin cheap price. 1700 for a Samsung DLP 50" w/ 1920 x 1080p resolution ect ect.. the works

Good bargain. He was willing to spend 2500+ So with this left over cash he has sitting at home, he would like a surround sound dealy to compliment his newly aquired tv. I totally agree for I will come watch football every sunday with him :cool:

The thing is, I am clueless to where I should start looking. Gotta have somehting decent. Trying to spend maybe 150+ but no more than 500 bucks on surround sound.

Any suggestions?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
KingYaba said:
My dad has been talking about buying a HDTV for years. Finally he decided to get one, so I did the research for him and ended up finding one for a friggin cheap price. 1700 for a Samsung DLP 50" w/ 1920 x 1080p resolution ect ect.. the works

Good bargain. He was willing to spend 2500+ So with this left over cash he has sitting at home, he would like a surround sound dealy to compliment his newly aquired tv. I totally agree for I will come watch football every sunday with him :cool:

The thing is, I am clueless to where I should start looking. Gotta have somehting decent. Trying to spend maybe 150+ but no more than 500 bucks on surround sound.

Any suggestions?

Most decent Home theater amps will run more than $500. Maybe look around for a used/end of model Harmon Kardon or Onkyo amp, but new i dont think either brand can be had for under $500. Personally I have never been a big fan of the all-in-one home theater in a box kits.

Ed

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
KingYaba said:
Whole works
Yeah, $500 isn't really going to cut the mustard for an entire system. I mean, you can get a halfway decent Sony or Kenwood amp for around $250, but that only leaves you with another $250 for 5 to 6 speakers and all their accessories.

You'll also have to tell us a little more about what you want. Is an all-in-one system acceptable? Or do you want seperate amps and tuner? How do you feel about satellite/sub systems? Will this system be used only for TV/Video? Or will it be used also for music, or primarily for music with only some TV/Video use? How many inputs will you want? Will this be the center of your home's media entertainment, or just an add-on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.