Surround Sound on Macbook Pro????????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aj52489, Jun 4, 2009.

1. aj52489 macrumors newbie

Ok, I kind of have a series of questions, as I pretty much know nothing when it comes to audio. I currently am using an Airport Express to stream music to my Pioneer VSX-D812 receiver with my MBP. I also use the Vuze program to stream video through my xbox 360. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to set up surround sound through Airtunes? If so, how would I go about doing that. What kind of cables would I need to connect from my Airport to my receiver?

2. If it isn't possible to do surround sound through airtunes, is there anyway to just make the same sound come out of 5 different speakers (2 front, center, and 2 in the back)?

3. Is there any way to stream my videos through Vuze in surround sound? If so, how is this possible.

Any help is appreciated...

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Unless the Airport express has a optical output, I don't think you can get more than 2 channel sound out of it.

Yes.. but you'll have to connect your Mac via the optical output (those Jacks in the MacBook Pro does both) directly to a A/V receiver that has ToshLink inputs.

Honestly? Dunno...

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think this will answer at least part of your question: when using the :apple:TV to watch video (either synced or streamed), it cannot 'distribute' the audio over your network to other devices via AirTunes. The only audio available (when watching video) is through the HDMI cable, the optical out, or the stereo (red/white) connections. The audio is available on all those connections simultaneously, and you can connect them to other devices (by cables) as you wish.

You could, for example, wire your :apple:TV to your receiver by any of those connections, then use whatever ability your receiver has to distribute the audio to your 5.1 speakers.

4. Shuttleworth macrumors regular

Thanks, that's answered the question I was going to ask :)

Is it worth buying expensive optical cables, or are they all going to give the same quality regardless of price?

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can get any cable you want off Amazon for only a few $ plus shipping. Never more than around $8-9 a cable.

6. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Also Monoprice or Cablesforless.

7. aj52489 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help...I ordered a toslink to mini toslink cable off amazon for $7...Im going to hook that up from the Airport to my receiver, and I think I should be able to get 5.1 sound.

On a separate note, how do I hook up my xbox 360 to my receiver?

8. neevan macrumors newbie

9. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

look up headphone splitter or jack splitter.

If you want to have three pairs of speakers, just get two splitters.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One of the thing about doing it wireless is if you are playing movies there is often times a delay. Just a note of caution.

11. fpnc macrumors 68000

The multi-channel optical output on the MacBooks only works from within Apple's DVD Player. Any other source will just give you stereo. There have been reports that some third-party software will enable multi-channel output but it seems that those solutions are pretty much hit-and-miss (seems to work in some setups, others not).

In the case of iTunes music streaming from an AirPort Express, I'd be VERY surprised if you get multi-channel audio even when connected via the optical digital output.