Surround Sound on new iMac i7

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DoctorDragonmaw, Nov 29, 2009.

1. DoctorDragonmaw macrumors newbie

I just purchased (ships the 11th) a new iMac i7. I have been using Dells for years to game with and Macs to work with, and have decided I am not tolerating PC nonsense anymore and moving to my Mac full-time (yay for Bootcamp).

I have some old Dell 5.1 speakers that I am retiring, but I am a bit flummoxed on a good set of 5.1 speakers that will work with my Mac. (I do not want to use the Firewave or an external sound card if I can help it.)

The Logitech Z-5500 look like they will do the trick with a Toslink To Optical Mini Adapter.

However, that is damn pricey for speakers. Do any of you know of some decent 5.1 Surround Sound speakers for the single mini port on the Mac?

Yikes. Missed this post. My bad. I had no idea the issue was going to be this complicated. Crap.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's not the easiest thing in the world. If you get a USB soundcard that is supported in both environments you should be fine. What exactly is your price range.

3. DoctorDragonmaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Top end would be about $400, to answer your question.

However, I have been reading and researching constantly since I posted this and believe I have read every one of your sound reviews now. You have sold me on the Swan M10's or the d1080mkii's.

These are going to be primarily for gaming, but I respect the value of true, crystal audio more than being able to hear a rogue sneaking up behind me in World of Warcraft.

Plus, the Swans beat the Logitechs in sexy by a hundred-fold.

The Logi's would work, but for the price, I think just a 2.1 system would do the job for me.