Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dooglebug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Maryland
Bare with me please, I am brand-spankin' new to Mac!

I just got a Mac Mini. Love it. Now I'd like to wire the whole room for sound.

I use Spotify religiously, and watch dvd's on my computer. I'd like speakers in front, speakers in back, and a subwoofer. It would be ideal if the rear speakers are wireless.

I'm having NO luck on any searches or sites. I see recommendations in these forums but a lot of it is Greek to me, ie, Airport, Airplay, whoza-whatsa...

I'd like to spend as little as possible, no more than $200. It is a small room, by the way.

Please help with suggestions, and walk me through it?

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Considering your budget, this can be a tough issue to resolve. What is the percentage ratio of what you do more? Do you listen to music 60% and watch movies 40%, etc? How small is your "small room" exactly? What do you specifically want from this system exactly in terms of sound? The reason I ask these questions is because most audio loudspeakers can perform home theater well, music is much more of a challenge.

destroysall.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My advice here FWIW is to wait. Save up for a decent AV unit and speakers...I have an Onkyo 5.1 system that cost (UK) £600, but they are cheaper back home, and can be bought from Amazon etc. for around $400.

A $200 unit just isn't going to give you what you want.

----------

A link to the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-TX-NR...B37A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356253293&sr=8-3

Add speakers of your choice, and you're good to go...They seem to have come down in price here as well.:)

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
It sounds like you want 5 computer speakers for surround sound and a subwoofer, not a full-fledged home theater system, right? In that case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121044

But if you do want a home theater system (with a receiver for plugging in something else besides your mini, e.g. game console, Apple TV, etc.) then check out this category: http://www.newegg.com/Home-Theater-in-a-Box/SubCategory/ID-501

Those are 'home theater in a box' units which are the only way to accomplish it for less than $200. Individually buying a receiver, speakers, and subwoofer costs much more, with the benefit being sound quality.

Dooglebug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Maryland
I knew I'd get some help here. Love this site and the forums!

This room is a small 2nd bedroom, set up as my office. It's about... ur... 12 x 12 ish.

I saw that Logitech setup. The rear speakers don't appear to be wireless. I'd prefer not to run wires halfway around the room.

Right now I have a pair of Yamaha speakers, pretty decent sound. Are there separate subwoofer and rear speakers I can add? I have NO clue how to set that up, especially with one audio port in the Mac Mini.

I have an Onkyo stereo/receiver system in my loft. It's pretty old but works fine. I don't want to move it, and I don't want to hop up n down to use it! Like I said, I listen to Spotify here in the office almost constantly. DVDs much less, maybe 2 a week.

I just want to surround myself with sound. Thanks.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I would go with a stereo setup. It will provide you with more options in loudspeakers. If you set up the loudspeakers properly it will contribute to a better and fuller sound.

destroysall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.