Survey: 95% of developers working to support iOS 7, over half will require it

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Rogifan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

According to Craig Hockenberry of The Iconfactory.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/15...ng-to-support-ios-7-over-half-will-require-it

2. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

Sounds much better than making another version of the app (you'd have to buy it again), just for the iOS 7.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I would be very unhappy about that.

4. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I've been wanting to know the answer to this for a while now, but didn't want to make a new thread to ask it:

What happens if you're running an old version of iOS and you try to use an app that requires a newer one? Are you still aloud to use the old app if the old version of the app only needed the iOS that you're running? What happens if an app that you use gets updated to require a newer iOS than you're running, do you still get the updates just to be told that you can't use it?

5. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I have an iPad 1 and I'm stuck with 5.1.1, when apps (like YouTube or Procreate) were updated, they required iOS 6 so when I go to the App Store they say 'Update' but you can't, so yeah, you can't do anything but use the version you currently have.

6. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

When I first compiled and ran my app with Xcode 5 and the 7 simulator, I was really disappointed... I have a bit of work to support it. Nothing major, but when I need to work on new features, I cannot spare the time.

But that's the thing, compiled with the iOS 7 SDK on Xcode 5, my app is seen as an iOS 7 app, which it isn't really.

So I took the plunge and installed iOS 7 on my iPad and iPhone and installed the Xcode 4.6 / iOS 6 compiled version of the app and the result is: an iOS 6 looking app.

I half-assumed that this would be the case, so I wanted to see for sure. But I've never seen it written specifically (rarely make it to the end of articles before falling asleep...)

So for the moment, there is no real rush for me to support it, as I'm a single developer for my app... Bigger fish to fry... One day, I will get there.

At the end of the day, mostly developers and nerds will complain that it isn't iOS7-looking... But it is the same for 64-bit applications that don't really need to be 64-bits... Only developers and nerds don't like to see all their apps as "Intel (64-bit)" in Activity Monitor... :D

7. sero323 macrumors regular

As a developer I was also disappointed at how ios 7 has changed. Most of the code has to be tweaked and even then it doesn't look the way it's suppose to. Ios 7 and iphone 5 will most likely be the requirements for my app