Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igorleandro

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
People should learn to make comparisons...

They are "splitting" the downloads from iPhoneOS into iPhone and iPod Touch. Why not break down webOS and Android too?

Or make it simply iPhoneOS / webOS / Android.

The main reason why developers and most consumers want App Store is the entire ecosystem, not just the device.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I've always wondered why Palm and the Android makers don't come out with their own versions of the iPod Touch...just sell their phones without the phone.

If dad has an iPhone, the kid's gonna want an iPod Touch. If dad has a Droid then the kid's gona want...uhm...an iPod Touch. These other companies are totally ignoring a huge market both in hardware and software sales.

These graphs only prove this point even more.

Hah! You know the wrong parents. Check out the iPod forum for people buying their babies iPods. And they seem to be becoming standard issue for 7-12 year olds in some areas, perhaps replacing Gameboys or similar.

My kid uses advanced tactics. He recommends that I get a new Touch or an iPad, then he can have my current Touch. It's good to dream. :D

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I've always wondered why Palm and the Android makers don't come out with their own versions of the iPod Touch...just sell their phones without the phone.

If dad has an iPhone, the kid's gonna want an iPod Touch. If dad has a Droid then the kid's gona want...uhm...an iPod Touch. These other companies are totally ignoring a huge market both in hardware and software sales.

These graphs only prove this point even more.
It can also work in reverse. I bought my wife an iPod Touch for work purposes (amazingly that thing is replacing other devices as the PDA of choice for medical professionals). Before then I'd seen it in action and had seen others with it, but had never played with one myself. It was an amazing experience. I was really impressed, and found that over the next few weeks I'd steal her iPod away just to mess around with it and see what it could do. Finally, realizing that my hated old Symbian phone was on its last legs and that I had a use for a number of applications in the app store, I bought a (used) iPhone and unlocked it (although I am an AT&T customer...). I probably would have gone for a Windows Mobile device if I hadn't experienced the Touch firsthand.

But the scenario you mentioned is probably much more common - people start out with the iPod Touch and when they become older, their needs change along with their spending capability and they'll "graduate" to an iPhone. That's brlilliant marketing.

shideg

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
What does "while iPhone users are more likely iPod touch users to download paid apps" mean?

stellarceltic

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
People should learn to make comparisons...

They are "splitting" the downloads from iPhoneOS into iPhone and iPod Touch. Why not break down webOS and Android too?

Or make it simply iPhoneOS / webOS / Android.

The main reason why developers and most consumers want App Store is the entire ecosystem, not just the device.

The graph shows averages. If you combine iPhone and iPod Touch, the amounts would barely change.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
How many billions?
6a0105359316ef970b01053617df95970b-800wi

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
Ok, maybe I'm an old fogey(33), but I just don't see the appeal in downloading millions of apps, playing games on tiny devices and texting all the time. :confused:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I've got to admit that I prefer paid apps over ad supported ones. Considering the fact you get updates for such a low price it really is worth the low price for them.
As others have noticed, Android only has a few regions where paid apps are allowed so the data is surprising.

Its good to see that people pay for apps on both sides of the fence and I hope that the ad supported free apps are giving developers enough revenue to make it worth keeping up with developing these apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.