Survey Shows Older and Cheaper iPhones and iPads Remain Popular, MacBook Pro is Best-Selling Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In its latest report on Apple, Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) surveyed a number of recent purchasers of Apple products to determine U.S. buyer's purchasing habits regarding preferred capacity and model of a variety of Apple products.

Among other things, the survey found that the iPhone 5 accounted for just 52% of iPhones purchased in June 2013 -- back in October, just after the iPhone 5 had launched, the new device commanded some 68% of iPhone purchases. In June, 30% of iPhone sales were from the 4S, while 18% were from the 4.

[​IMG]
    The iPhone 4 and 4S aren't the only older iOS devices to be seeing significant sales success. The iPad 2, which is particularly popular in educational and enterprise environments, accounted for 34% of total iPad sales in June. The Retina iPad and iPad mini each counted for a third of total sales.

[​IMG]
    The 16GB capacity iPad is by far the most popular model, with the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB models accounting for 28%, 11% and 2% of total sales respectively.

[​IMG]
    Finally, though the Mac Pro has not been significantly updated in several years, it still accounts for 5% of total Mac sales, according to the survey -- and is more popular than the Mac mini. The MacBook Pro makes up 70% of Apple's notebook sales, with more than half of those sales going to the Retina display-equipped models.

[​IMG]
    Apple does not break down sales by model, and though this data is from a survey and not company-provided, it gives some insight into the sales preferences of Apple's customers.

Article Link: Survey Shows Older and Cheaper iPhones and iPads Remain Popular, MacBook Pro is Best-Selling Mac

2. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

What?

Wow, really? :confused:

3. buckers macrumors 6502

I'm surprised the Mac Pro has been out-selling the Mac Mini

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Previous gen apple product is always the best value.

5. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

I don't understand.

The air is faster, more reliable and lighter. It has a better battery life and a higher resolution display. External storage is cheap, and external cd drives do the job just fine. There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

6. upthetoffees macrumors regular

It's funny because I've always said it and so do most of my colleagues: the iphone 5 is nice but the 4s is better, just feels more solid and has perfect weight. I went on holiday and had to take some pics from a boat in Greece and the 4s felt great to snap from but the 5 felt like I could drop it. The camera is better on the 5 of course and noticeably so. I bought the 5 for my gf but I would not buy it for myself but would definitely buy a revamped 4s body in future. Shame about the buzzing/interference sound when you make a phone call, they never fixed that and there are thousands of posts about it.

Very happy with my Ipad2, had been the only Apple hardware that has not had any issue other than the retina mbp and I have been through quite a few of their devices.

7. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Was just going to point that quote out too. Very interesting bit right there.

9. Giuly, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

A 15" screen. 16GB of RAM. Quad-Core CPUs. Dual-Core CPUs > 1.7GHz. A Retina display. You know, Pro stuff.

10. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

Ipad mini was a better tablet experience than normal ipad imo

11. Philoman macrumors member

Philoman

It is unbelievable that Mac Mini sale is so low. Also lower than the Dec 2012 figure. I though the 2012 Mac Mini would have done much better due to its improvement on its performance.

I am thinking Apple did not market the 2012 Mac Mini properly or this survey is not accurate.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

No Retina Display on the cMBP.

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

There is no way the Mac Pro outsells the Mac Mini.

I think they surveyed people who said 'Mac Pro' and meant 'Macbook Pro' is a far more likely explanation.

14. daneoni, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

CDs/DVDs and Ethernet ports are still a thing and it has the lowest entry price point to the Pro line. All in, the 13" MBP still provides good value for budget buyers. Even more so if you're a student. Especially since the White MacBook disappeared.

Not everyone wants to spend more to find external solutions for stuff that should arguably be built in already.

15. appleisking macrumors 6502a

cmbp has always been popular
    The Pro is upgradable that could be a factor.

16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'm surprised the older iPhones sell so well, especially in the US where there are two year carrier contracts. When one considers the amount paid over the life of a two year contract the extra $100 to go for the 5 as opposed to the 4S seems almost trivial.

17. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

I wonder why Apple is making a low-cost iPhone ......

I predict the plastic iPhone will be incredibly popular maybe even the most popular.

If I am correct, I must be a prophet.

Anyways,

What are the internal differences of the mbp that require it to be thicker than the air?

Display- that should not make it any thicker.
    Higher power CPU - guess
    More ports??

Obviously the 650m in the 15 requires it to be thicker.

I am trying to decide between buying an air and a mbp. I am trying to decide between portability vs retina display. It's a tough decision. I really wish the air had a little higher resolution :/

18. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

let the decision linger until the new rMBP is announced

19. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Higher end CPU and GPU requiring a larger battery. Also, the MBP's ventilation system is rather... Elaborate. That takes up some room too.

20. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

Many people prefer having half their computer in their computer.

21. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The 13" rMBP is just as portable as the MBA, but has an indefinitely more beautiful screen and blaster processing while being about the same price (bottom-end 2.5GHz vs top-end 1.7GHz).

22. tooobe macrumors regular

I don't believe the numbers of this survey for a second, they just don't make sense.

23. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

The Mac mini could be so much more if Apple made higher spec options and made it more gamer friendly.

24. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

I'm in the "these numbers don't make sense" category.

It seems truly insane that the Mac Pro outsells the Mac Mini.

And that the MacBook Pro outsells the MacBook Air.

25. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

Notice I said 13" MBP.

The air is faster than the 2+ ghz processors in the entry level MBP. It's not all about clock speeds. That's even before considering the improvements the new PCIe.

I get so frustrated when friends buy a fat MBP just because they're scared of not having the word 'pro' in the name