Survey: What's your experience so far with MobileMe?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by goobimama, Nov 30, 2008.

1. goobimama macrumors regular

I'm doing some research on whether or not MobileMe is appreciated by its users. I will be publishing this data in the eMag so if you don't want yourself included mention it in your comment.

How has your experience been so far? Has it been reliable? Will you renew or discontinue when the time comes? What's the killer feature? What's the killer feature that's absent and making you give it up?

Do reply.

2. kolax macrumors G3

I bought .Mac for the iDisk, email and sync abilities. When MobileMe took over, the new features I didn't care about as it was only the original .Mac features I used.

However, the transition was horrific. I luckily didn't loose any emails (least I think I didn't..). Even now, I experience the odd email problem (i.e. extremely slow to download Mail attachments), but generally I'm happy with email. I use my iDisk regularly and I'm happy with the performance (though I use Transmit to upload stuff).

I don't have an iPhone yet so I can't comment on the syncing performance (other than that I use sync to keep a hold of my Bookmarks, Dock items, Dashboard stuff etc).

I rely too much upon my email address and iDisk not to renew. I know there is free alternatives, but when I do eventually get an iPhone at the end of this year, the syncing abilities will be extremely useful.

Reliability isn't the best for a paid service, and they do need to make everything a lot smoother.

I'm completely avoiding talking about the web applications for a reason.

3. benfischer macrumors newbie

I had .Mac for several years. The transition to MobileMe was a disaster. Several weeks after the transition, it started to work OK for me and today it still works OK. I held on to .Mac because I hoped someday it would be useful. I don't think the sync features nor Back to My Mac will ever work well. Too much trouble with built-in firewalls that a lot of people have (including the routers and modems they get with their DSL or Cable) However the email and calendar are OK, and iDisk is useful, but I think it's still way slow on uploads, compared to S3 for instance.

I always thought that .Mac was the least "Apple-like" of Apple's products as it was ugly, poorly tested and generally poorly planned. MobileMe is no better, though at this time I can't say that it's worse. I just don't really see what the point is.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

It was rather a rocky start, I experienced many of the problems that occurred but once the hiccups got ironed out it has been really nice. Not to mention the fact that I've been on the free trial for about six months now.

5. goobimama thread starter macrumors regular

My questions is more relevant to the 'now' part of it than the transition stages. I mean, in the last two months has MobileMe been stable, etc?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Email and iDisk is fine now. Of course there is occasional hiccup (Mail might be down/iDisk might be fail) but we are getting there.

It is hard to say how stable it is - because I don't know if my email is down because I just leave Mail open to check for my email. And I only upload to iDisk, I've never downloaded, but I haven't heard complaints from people I know saying they can't access my iDisk.

The web applications are not up to scratch at all. Slow and very laggy.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I will absolutely be renewing when my subscription is up, though I will likely buy it on Amazon or eBay at a discounted price.

MobileMe works flawlessly for me to...

...use the iDisk to transfer large files to clients.
    ...use email to correspond with clients.
    ...sync contacts, bookmarks and calendars on three Macs and an iPhone.
    ...use MobileMe to host my website (which I code in DW, not iWeb).

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've been very pleased with MM. I wasn't really affected by the switchover from .Mac to MM. When I got a new MacBook, a quick sync to MM and I was off to the races since I didn't want to bother with Migration Asst. at that moment. Had to play with new toy. For me, it just works.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Love it.

I wasn't home when issue were happening early on(and had yet to make an account), and since I started I've had no issue when MM would let me onto my files. But my teacher was understanding of it, so it wasn't a big deal

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wife and I very happy with the family plan

My wife and I used Yahoo Push Email with the original iPhones. It worked quite well but did not have OTA Sync of Contacts and Calendar. After MobileMe was released I tested for a few months and had a few problems but not nearly the problems of others. We are now both on the Family Plan and are very happy with the product.

Our main use is as follows:

1. Push Email
    2. OTA Sync of Contacts and Calendar

11. radie macrumors newbie

Mobile me so far

I am having a problem with the folders. I have an Apple Mail To Do folder on my iPhone under the .me account, but it does not show up in my online mobile me. So far this is the only problem I have.

12. benfischer macrumors newbie

Bookmark sync doesn't work for me. Contact and calendar sync does seem to work, but is a pain. iDisk is OK as far as I can tell. Email goes down occasionally, but not enough for me to really complain about it. Back to My Mac has never worked. In general, I'm not completely happy the sync solution that Apple uses instead of push technology that was originally announced, but I can live with it.

13. merliajoseph macrumors newbie

Im very happy with my mobileme rite now and comfortable too.

14. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

I bought it and (thankfully) used the trial period before I opened the shrink wrapped box. The lack of Exchange Server support is a deal breaker for me since it basically drives my life. I returned it and hoped that they would add this support, but to date have not heard anything about it. My trial recently expired after the extra extensions they gave. Since other companies (i.e. Google and their sync) can sync with Exchange, it's clearly a marketing, and not a technical issue. I can't say that I was overly impressed with how rough the start up was too, but I could have lived with that. Shrug.

15. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I bailed on MM

After initially working well and syncing properly, I got the dread "inconsistent data" error and my Mac would no long sync with the cloud. After trying all of the data reset, etc. type fixes, Apple suggested that I manually delete all data in the cloud and start over ... I bailed. There are lots of folks who are successfully syncing every day with MM, but there are a few of us who have reached the end of their trial period and decided to look elsewhere.

16. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I havent noticed any improvements in the last few months

Web site and iDisk painfully slow
    Forced to use IE6 at work (plus other public places) so its not very mobile

On the plus side, and what is keeping me a subscriber (yes I will renew) is the synching with my iPhone and also the .mac email address, never liked @me.com and do not use it

17. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

I'm one of the fortunate ones that haven't had any problems at all. I've been a .mac/MobileMe subscriber for a couple of years now, and it's been great.

I think the key to the "value" is if you use all of the features. For example, I use syncing all the time since I have two Macs and an iPhone. Also, since Google hosts my domain, it's real easy to use my .mac address for push mail for my personal domain (as others have mentioned, if you use Google's SMTP servers, it will change the "from:" address) by forwarding email to MobileMe.

I also use iWeb for my family website, and I use the online storage to store my documents. By using iDisk syncing, I keep my docs on the MobileMe server, and have aliases to them in the documents folder of my two Macs. By doing that, all of my documents are synched between computers, and online! By using iDisk syncing, I have access to the docs offline as well. The only caveat is to make sure you use time machine or some other method to backup your iDisk...while I have never lost anything in the few years I've done this, it's better to be safe than sorry!

At any rate, based on all of that, MobileMe is an unbeatable deal for me.

18. stuart.mccollum macrumors member

Hi,
    I have had Mobileme since it was launched and just after i got my iPhone 3G. I must say i always thought the whole microsoft exchange idea was great and i was thrilled when they announced that everyone could have something similar with Mobileme.

As i said i purchased it just after i got my iPhone and i have not looked back yet. Yes there was a few issues at the start but hey what major new release has not had a few issues at its launch.

I have Mobileme setup to sync my iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, and even my Windows laptop. I have been more than pleased with it and to make it even better i still haven't paid for it, with all the free extensions apple gave away and the initial trial, I only have to start paying on the 15th of December, excellent.

There are a few things i would like to see, one of which would be the ability to remote wipe my iPhone if i ever lost it, hey if apple can let Microsoft Exchange do this, surely their software should be able to do the same.

19. goobimama thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will get right to tallying all the responses and fitting them just right :)

20. speedracer3000 macrumors 6502

I started the trial pretty much when MM was launched. I didn't experience much problems although sync was a bit slow at first (took several hours for the changes to show up). However within a week or two after launch, sync was drastically improved. Soon after and up to this point, I've had no problems whatsoever. I use it primarily for email and sync between 3 computers and two iphones. Sync has been pretty flawless. Any update made on one device shows up as expected on other devices in no time. Push email is working great as well. Anything I send myself shows up almost instantaneously. The only negative for me about MM is the price tag. As great as it is, $100+ is a bit steep. The good thing is that it's easy to find MM subscriptions from eBay, Amazon etc. for a fraction of the retail price at around $30-$50, which IMO is the right price range.

21. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

First of all, I'm still on the trial version but officially transferred all the emails from Gmail couple of days ago. I only went to MobileMe because I own a Macbook pro and a iPhone. MobileMe seems to work great with apple products but if you have a windows pc, I would not recommend it. Also, $99 for the subscription is too high.
    Luckily, I was able to buy one off eBay for $35. For this price, I think MobileMe is worth it and knowing Apple, I'm sure they will fix alot of the problems it's having.

Mainly I wish Apple would speed up the MobileMe website. It is really slow compared to Gmail and does not have as much options, however, I do like the clean Apple interface.

22. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I use Windows and I strongly recommend MobileMe. For me the integration between Outlook, MobileMe and iPhone for EMAIL, CONTACTS and CALENDAR are great.

However, I do agree you get more benefit if you are a MAC user.

23. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Yea, not trying to down anyone using windows but i believe apple products seems to work much smoother on mac (obviously...:D) . For example, iTunes seem to run much better on mac then in pc. Also, for MobileMe, having iDisk built into the Finder is awesome compared to PC.

24. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

In no way am I saying that Apple Products run smoother on Windows. I think it is given that MobileMe has more value on a Mac. I was just saying that if you don't have a Mac MobileMe still has a lot of value.

Just to comment on above. I have been using iTunes on Windows ever since I got my iPhone and now my AppleTV and have never had a problem. However, it would be better if it ran as a "Service". As far as iDisk, with Windows Vista you can define it as a network drive so it appears just like any other drive letter which makes it very easy to integrate with Windows.

25. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I liked it, but thought it was too expensive. now I know of an alternative of paying 100 bucks a year, I might reconsider getting it for good.