Survived a run-in with my driveway and a puddle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justflie, Oct 31, 2007.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Hey all,

I had a close call with my iPhone over the weekend but was happily surprised at its durability. It was absolutely pouring on Saturday and I was reluctant to get out of my car. I put my iPhone into the front pocket of my sweatshirt (the kind that is centered over the stomach for both hands on a cold day) and ran from the car to the door of my house.
    I turn the corner around the hood of the car and I hear a double "thwack" as the iPhone flew out of my pocket and bounced on the ground. I immediately knew what happened and was like, "oh nooooes!" I turn back around in the rain and grab my iphone out of a relatively shallow puddle (not fully submerged). It's also wet on the front from the heavy rain. I immediately turned it off and started wiping it frantically (while under the eave of the house).

I get inside, pull out some tupperware, put in uncooked rice and put in the iPhone. So I covered it and wondered about my favorite toy. Haha. So then about 6 hours later I remembered about the moisture disk in the headphone jack. So I looked at it and it was still white, saying "no moisture was ever here." So I figured, even if I did turn it on and it shorted, it's still under warranty. But lucky me, she turned on/worked just fine. Only a couple of small scuffs on the back and on the chrome rim to remind me of the tale (not even a scratch on the glass!).

The moral of the story be, don't meet a bear without a tree.

Anyone who gets that reference gets a cookie. :p

Anyone else have close calls to report?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

THE BEAR SONG...mmmmm bear...

Anyway, what a tremendous story!!

3. Clipse79 macrumors regular

I love it! I bet if it what a child, I know I would have been like common stop crying get up lets go! The iPhone is more valuable then a child...I love it....I`m kidding but it is sort of funny...

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Had my iPhone for about an hour (after activation) and while pulling it out of my pocket just before sitting down at a local Starbucks (outside on the concrete patio) it slips right out of my hands and his the ground under the table right on it's glass face...:eek:
    Needless to say I am both freaked out and embarrassed as the people sitting around me (the place was packed) gasped...I'm not sure they knew it was an iPhone yet, but they knew it was at least my cell phone...
    I sheepishly picked up the iPhone and checked it for damage...NONE!
    Not even a scratch on the chrome and it worked perfectly...
    I was so relieved and proceeded to act like it was no big deal (while inside my head I was thanking the Good Lord and swearing to go immediately to the Apple Store and buy a case)...
    Anyway, I learned a good lesson and I am always very conscious of the potential for it to slip out of my hands even with the case...
    Anyway, a harrowing experience for sure...:eek:

5. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Haha, glad I'm not alone. I am usually very conscious of its potential to fall. This time, I was under the notion of, it will be fine, I'll be running for literally 10 feet. Should have probably just slipped it into my jeans pocket. :eek:

6. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

The iPhone is too beautiful to put it inside a case, but the buttery smooth facade makes it feel like I am going to drop it any minute, I am so paranoid. Hopefully your experience won't happen to me.:)

7. suimpreza16 macrumors newbie

mine did the good old drop it in the toliet trick. However, i wasn't nearly as lucky because everything at the top of the touch screen did not work! So i couldn't turn it off :( i ended up buying myself a new one even though i don't think the moisture sensor turned color. I will never put it in my back pocket again!