SuSE or another Linux distro in Xserve G5

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by phoenixsan, Apr 26, 2013.

1. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Hello all....!

So the University where I give classes got in a donation a Xserve G5 2.3 DP (PCI-X) Early 2005, with 2 Apple Drive Modules for 160 GB. Have 8 GB of RAM and a 128 MB video card. Some colleagues have suggested to use one of the Apple Drives to install SuSe for PowerPC. But we dont come into an agreement. So I come here hoping to get some input about the idea. Or ideas about another Linux distro more fitted to the hardware donated.

:):apple:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hi there!! Very good machine - I have had a lot of luck and fun using Debian - sometimes CentOS.. Would you try those? :) enjoy!!

3. phoenixsan thread starter macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Hello there....!

Glad you read my post and posted your suggestions. I like Debian. CentOS, I dont know so much.

Right now we have a short list:

SuSe
    Debian
    Fedora

What do you think about it and this project in general?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Not a problem - Debian is really nice so I highly suggest that, especially on Apple products. What would you use the server for ideally?

5. phoenixsan thread starter macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Original intended use will be....

host some databases we have developed. And also as testing ground and enviroment for programming and developing Apps/resources for Linux users in our University.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Oh sounds awesome! I'm not a big database or rev guy myself, but I do design systems used to hold such platforms, I think the Xserve will be great for those uses! :)