Suspect Virus - supportdownload.apple.com 36GB in 2 days!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lmorum, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lmorum macrumors newbie

Please help me - I suspect I may have a virus on my Mac. I downloaded the free antivirus product from pcTools but it finds nothing.

My mac has used huge bandwidth in the last couple of days - I have Wingate installed and I ran a report which shows the bandwidth was while connected to supportdownload.apple.com !!!

I pay huge $$ for bandwidth here in South Africa so this has been a costly discovery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That'd be because there is nothing to find.

Try restarting your browser and/or your computer. Then check to see if the bandwidth is still being... er... taken... by that.

3. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

4. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

5. krackers macrumors member

not a virus.

Use others suggestions.
    If all fails just reinstall osx

6. lmorum thread starter macrumors newbie

What could it have been?

Thanks for all the advice - I did download little snitch - but Murphy's law my mac isn't using much bandwidth right now.

I can't imagine it being some rogue application because according to my firewall reports all the traffic came from supportdownload.apple.com

So that begs the question - is it my Mac OS behaving badly? What caused it - and how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks again.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Hmm, did you download an update recently? Power Mac users - is there a way to get at a log to see if the bandwidth was an OS/software update being downloaded?