Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traken182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Hello Fellow Mac Users,

Okay, so here's the deal, and I preface this with the obligatory 'yes I know I should have backed up my data and I'm a dumbass for not doing this.'

A week ago my Mac stalled, wouldn't even go passed the startup point. I booted from disk and did all the stuff you have to do before I resigned to failure and deleted my hardrive and reinstalled the OS.

Good news is, Mac is back, working perfectly.

Bad news is, I didn't back up my data (despite attempts to do it through disk utility). So I resorted to using a program Data Rescue 3.0 to reconstruct my files, which it has done.

Now here's the tricky part, some of the word documents (saved as docx) are opening fine, say about 10 of them. The rest of the files aren't opening automatically.

Now I did have MS Office on my Mac, but I have lost the cd cos I borrowed it (i'm a dumbass) so I'm using Open Office, which is opening 10 of the 400 word docs i have recovered.

In short, how do i fix this.

Any help appreciated, feel free to laugh at my dumbness, lord knows I deserve it.

Traken182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I have no idea what's wrong but I just tried a converter and it's not working. I am seriously bad at this stuff. Any clues?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You could try actually buying an Office for Mac disc and installing it. Or, first take some of the files to someone who has it and see if that's even going to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.