Suspected hardware issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romaik, Jul 23, 2011.

1. romaik macrumors newbie

Hello good people of Macrumors

Before I start, let me give you the info on my MBP :
    MBP 17" from 2010 // Core i7 // 8GB Ram // GT 330M // 500GB HD (if ever that matters)

What is happening is that when I am playing, let's say Team Fortress 2 or Dragon Age Origins, the game is working fine but all of the sudden, the FPS drops to less than 1fps, making the game completely unusable. What's worst is that this drop can occur at any time (last night I played TF2 without any issue for 1 hour straight, this morning, it happened 5min in ...). And after this drop happens, the overall experience after quitting the game is not that great (Chrome tabs take a few more ms to open/close it's noticeable, the Application folder is not that smooth ...).
    The other application open (appart for the game) would be Chrome and/or iTunes.
    This only solution I found so far is a reboot of the machine, because quitting the game and relaunching it is not working.

I suspect an hardware issue (to be honest, it's been a while since I suspected that my MBP has a faulty component, for it freezes up time to time).

Do you know any tool that could do a complete hardware check ?
    An Apple store is about to open in my town (Hong Kong), I well intend to bring it to them so that they can check as well. Do you know if they can do this as well ?

I already tried :
    - Fixing the permission with the Disk Utility
    - Verify and repair Disk (with the DVD)
    - Onyx
    None of this worked.

Thanks for the help
    R

2. romaik thread starter macrumors newbie

forgot to mention one thing.
    I am at the latest update on Snow Leopard (didn't upgrade yet to Lion)

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Find an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) and have them run an ASD to test the logic board and then also have them run a graphics card test. If both check out OK, I would then check the RAM. If that's OK, then I would say it's a problem with your game files and I would suggest reinstalling the OS and your applications.