Suspected Hardware Problems with Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darbyclash34, Aug 19, 2009.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

I have a Mac Pro 2,1 and have been having some problems with it for some time. At first I suspected file system damage, so I backed up important data, and did an erase and install, and just reinstalled Final Cut Studio, leaving the backup on an external. But I am still getting some of the same problems, one hard drive will take up to 30 minutes to mount, it can't be backed up (carbon copy cloner fails saying either bad filesystem or bad drive, and just copy and pasting fails). Sometimes, using the Find command in Finder will not return any results. I am on Tiger 10.4.11, all the latest patches. Everything passes the Tech Tool analysis. Any one have any ideas?

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Sounds very much like that the HDD is giving up,or worse the connections/controllers. You can check it out by putting in another HDD in that same slot and see if you can reproduce the errors.
    If no probs,get a new hdd,if the errors persist,then it is more serious.

3. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I just reread my post and realized I misstated something. The hard drive that will take up to 30 minutes to mount is an external. The system drive I'm having trouble with is an internal. The internal one is the drive that can't be backed up.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Sounds odd.

Do you have some spare drives you can swap out to see if it's indeed the drives or not?

5. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't unfortunately. I've booted from a MacBook Pro and from the install disk, run everything Disk Utility can do, I think it's gotta be the hard drive or maybe the logic board.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Have you reset PRAM? CMD+OPT+P+R at boot IIRC (check up on it). I only say because I don't know if you have or not - I had some funky times with NVRAM recently on my G5.

Did you clone your MacPro boot drive from a different Mac? There could be an unrepairable permission in there somewhere.

7. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give resetting the PRAM another go. This is a completely clean erase and install installation I did myself two months ago.