Suspected Malware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhoward, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bhoward macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Safari Version 5.0.1 (5533.17.8) and now when I try to visit a trusted work site I am blocked by a suspected malware warning. If I click ignore and then try to re-open the site the malware warning returns. If I use firefox I am able to log in without a problem. Any way to get rid of this warning?
    Thanks, Brent

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Uncheck this in Safari > Preferences:
    ScreenCap 1.PNG

3. bhoward thread starter macrumors newbie

Suspected Malware

Thanks GGJ,

That worked great.:) I don't know how that box got checked in the first place though because I use the site I was having trouble with all the time and never had a problem.

Cheers, Brent

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Rather then deselecting that, perhaps you should contact the admins of the site, and tell them you got that warning. Its quite possible that site is compromised and ignoring the problem will only make matters worse.

Just because its trusted doesn't mean it cannot get infected.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I would contact the admins of the site immediately. Usually getting a malware warning, especially one pointing to an 'ru' TLD is a sign that the site has been compromised and, more likely than not, some malicious code has been added. This happened to me due to an SQL injection a few years ago and it can be pretty subtle if you don't keep on top of things.

6. bhoward thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Maflynn and Guiyon

I did contact the admin for the site but have not yet heard back from them. I think I will avoid the site until it is resolved.

cheers, Brent