Suspecting Defective RAM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fried Potato, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Fried Potato macrumors member

Fried Potato

Hi guys, :)

I had a couple of problems with my iMac lately: Flash (Firefox) seems to crash several times an hour after trying to view non-specific Youtube videos. The browser itself (Firefox) has also crashed a number of times, although that's much less common compared to the crash rate of Flash. To an lesser extent, other programs have also crashed (e.g Audirvana), including two random Kernel Panic's since I've bought this computer.

I'm suspecting that a RAM stick is defective, as they're not Apple's original memory sticks.

Do you guys know how I can test the RAM sticks to find out which one's faulty? I've read about Mac's having a built-in RAM test, unfortunately, I haven't been able to start it.

I've been recommended to use this program. Since this is my first Mac, I'm extremely paranoid about viruses/malwares. Is this safe, and will this work on Yosemite (the link's from 2011)?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

3. Fried Potato thread starter macrumors member

Fried Potato

Isn't the program supposed to be free? When clicking "download" on the link you provided, I get forwarded to a checkout site.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Download from memtest86.com and create a bootable CD or USB thumb drive for best results.

5. Fried Potato thread starter macrumors member

Fried Potato

I'm already aware of this program, but I unfortunately don't know how to create a bootable USB.

Is there possibly a guide about creating bootable USB's in Yosemite that you can direct me to?

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Sure, this tutorial is for creating a bootable Ubuntu thumb drive in OS X but just skip steps 1 and 2 and in step 8 point to the memtest86-usb.img file in the zip file you download from the memtest86 site. :)