Suspend

Discussion in 'macOS' started by indian, Jun 5, 2009.

1. indian macrumors newbie

You know how when the battery dies the mac restarts in the exact way you left it? well, i was wondering if there was any way that i could put in that mode on my own (without pulling out the battery or hurting the mac).

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Put it to sleep. You can even pull the battery out for a second and then slap it back in once it's fully asleep.

3. indian thread starter macrumors newbie

well actually i would like to actually "turn off"

kindof like hibernate in windows

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Exactly. All mobile intel Macs (as far as I know) only hibernate, there is no sleep mode. So once you close your Mac and the alert light starts to pulsate it is hibernating. So you can just pop out your battery, then pop it back in and it will be using zero electricity.

5. indian thread starter macrumors newbie

wont the removal of the battery damage the battery?

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. At least I have yet to hear that, nor can I think of a reason why that would damage the battery.

7. sexyfoolxx macrumors member

Newer mac portables use "hybrid" sleep. If you want the "old" sleep function, check out this http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html. As far as I know there is no way to force a Mac into "hibernation" like you can in Windows.

Edit: Check out the widget Deep Sleep. There's a link in the site i linked to.

8. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

you cant select sleep vs hibernate through the GUI. you need to use terminal to change the settings every time you want to change the sleep behavior.

i've set it to 'hibernate' on battery and hybrid sleep on charger, but that still isnt optimal since sometimes i just need a quick sleep like if im going between classes or something.

if you always want it to "hibernate" instead of sleep, then thats easily accomplished by:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

to only change 'on charger' behavior, use -c instead of -a
    to only change 'on battery' behavior, use -b instead of -a